What kids think about the Beatles

In the Sixties, my mom would read Time magazine and buy whatever its music critic praised in the year-end issue. So we heard a lot of Beatles growing up, but also heard lots of Peter, Paul & Mary, Moog and Tijuana Brass. Thanks to my dad, we also heard a lot of Bach and Handel. I still like most of it. Now my 12-year-old has his own iPod, bought with his own money, and has probably two dozen Beatles songs on it. I like some of his music, and he likes some of mine. He knows that old music is not necessarily bad, just as new music is not necessarily good. There are geniuses and morons in every generation.

My first recollection of the Beatles’ music is one of my earliest memories, probably sometime around when I was 3 or so. Unfortunately it wasn’t them performing it; it was the soundtrack to Sgt. Peppers the movie… But the memory of that 8 track is burned in my brain… Get Back, Lucy in the Sky and Strawberry Fields are probably the songs that I remember best…

I loved the Beatles right from the start… I remember when I was a teenager and all the these kids were “discovering” the Beatles… I was thinking you guys had never heard of the Beatles until now??? WTF??? I was listening to that stuff since I was like 3… lolol…