What kind of cheese was the government surplus brick sized blocks?

Or we could let the farmers be unable to break even on their crops and products, and when the market changes we won’t have any more of that item because too many people that use to grow/raise it went under and lost their jobs when the market was worse.

I always heard it was Velveeta.

Just like most other non-food commodities. Sounds good to me. It’s pretty much the way the market works, and I see no shortage of DVD players, paper towels, celphones or best-seller novels.

The theory that we will all starve if we don’t subsidize farmers went out with the depression.

Yup. Just go back and read any good history of the Great Depression when farmers were slaughtering livestock and dumping milk because commodity prices had dropped so low that the farmers couldn’t afford to buy feed.

The whole rationale for government subsidies is the idea that some industries are so essential that it makes more sense for a government to support them than to let them disappear.

In 1924 (before subsidies) milk sold for $0.138 per quart. By 2002 all those subsidies pushed the price up to $1.49 per quart.

If you’d like to discuss the concept of taxpayer subsidies further, feel free to in Great Debates.

Feel free to start a thread.

Back to the OP –

The gub’mint cheese was authentic American cheese which, as mentioned, is a mild cheddar sort of thing with a better texture than the ABOMINATIONS called “Kraft Singles Pasturized Process Cheese Food” and its cousins. Which is why it (usually) tasted better - because it’s real cheese, not imitation.

(“Cheese food?” :confused: It’s kibble you feed to your pet cheese???)

Ah, memories… at the time I was so poor that when occassionally receiving a brick starting to mold I’d just scrape the mold off and eat the rest…

Absolutly NOT!

It was real cheese, made from real dairy milk. Not a “cheese food product” like Velveeta. (That was the point of the program – to use up the surplus milk production in our country.)

And that’s why people remember it fondly – it tasted much better than the cheap ‘cheese product’ people use today for mac’n’cheese or grilled cheese sandwiches. I certainly remember it tasting better.

Back in the day I shared a house with a family that got government cheese. I loved that stuff.

I wonder if the government could sell it? I’d buy some.

sampiro . I apologize if I’m wrong, but I think the thread has been answered, although you may need to search for the few posts that were directed to your OP.

Starting with Khadaji, would people please try to not hijack threads? Mmmkay?

Closed.

samclem General Questions moderator