What kind of driving offers the best fuel economy per time?

Many country roads probably allow this, at least some of the time. I live in Amish country, and their buggies probably do about half that speed, with few problems. If you want to drive your car at 5mph for a long time around here, other drivers (who deal with the buggies every day) will probably adapt quickly.

I think Chronos’ point is that this question isn’t particularly interesting because it quickly resolves to “show me where I can do the lowest average speed, and can keep that speed reasonably close to constant.”

And the more stops it has, the more time you spend at ideal speed. Frequent stops hurt your MPG rating, but help your HPG.

I guess that would work around there. Around here, you’d just have a lot of people pissed off at you.

But acceleration hurts both.

Yes, but not as much as the stops themselves help.

Not saying you’re wrong, but how did you come to that conclusion? It doesn’t seem like something obvious.

Where I live, I could drive 10 mph for hours on end, rolling through stop signs and never stopping.

Well I guess there’s an exception to everything. That wouldn’t work around here though.