What kind of scam is this? What do they really want?

For those amused by such things and apt to poke fun and annoy for no real reason, you could do worse then pick up some tips from “the timewaster letters” by Robin Cooper (a pen-name for Robert Popper, all-round member of British comedy royalty and very silly person)

It records just how far real people will go to be pleasant and helpful to…let’s be frank here…a deluded bell-end. I’m sure his flights of fancy will provide you all with the inspiration to follow suit.

I have a low effort technique to (possibly) waste phone scammers time. I string them along for two or three sentences. Then kick over a chair, shout agitatedly off phone, and breathlessly tell the scammer my little kid/dog/pet velociraptor/methcooking is acting up and please hang on, I’ll be right back as soon as things are sorted out. Figure that will waste them a couple of minutes extra time before they get impatient and hang up.

Nice.
One way I’ve found to get rid of them quickly, but hopefully still cause them some discomfort (I mean, just hanging up doesn’t seem like enough), is to try the flirty come-on, for example@

Scammer: “Hello, this is the department of Microsoft. We are calling to tell you that someone has stolen your IP address! It is very serious”
Me: "Mmm, that does sound serious, but first, can you describe what you’re wearing right now?
Scammer: “The computer…”
Me: “What clothes are you wearing? I really want to know if it’s skin tight…”
Scammer: “Your IP address has…”
Me: “You sound so… mmmmmmm… I’m imagining your face, your neck, the texture of your skin…”
Scammer: <dial tone>

New Microsoft scam on the loose.