What kind of society....

[quote=“PrettyVacant, post:1, topic:591443”]

[li]Forces prisoners - under threat of solitary confinement - to produce 100% of military helmets, ammunition belts, bullet-proof vests, ID tags, for 25 cents an hour?[/li][/QUOTE]

I am opposed to harsh punishments for minor offenses under the three strikes rule. I am also opposed to disproportionate prosecution against blacks. However, I am not opposed to prison work programs.

Military helmets are high-tech contraptions made of complex layers of … some sort of technical stuff. Our modern dog tags have computer chips in them and are made by a company in my hometown.

Really, the OP could have done a bit of research.

Unless the three strikes rule applies to pretty much the whole population, Cambodia 1975 still has us beat.

Oddly enough, I happened to watch that episode last night, too - from my Season 7 DVD. Weird.

Phew! That’s a relief.
Whoever goes home and watches Top Gear - that’s just beyond between 26 years and life’ in solitary. It’s also almost a Gene Pitney lyric.

Where was I… oh yes, social justice, basic humanity, preaching human rights to the Chinese and… 1% of the nations population imprisoned.

Hey, at least they’ve got health care.

Yup, you pegged us. We’re the SDMB. We support the war on drugs around here!

Isn’t anyone going to answer the OP’s question?

Because I’m guessing the answer is Belgium.

You filthy…Watch your mouth!:mad:

Mmmm, waffles.

Nobody expects …

Sorry. Even I can’t do that.

:frowning:

So we are all in agreement then: The OP is a load of horseshit.

Yeah, really, a lot of them are just loss leaders we imprisoned for publicity purposes.

And?

Are those numbers too high?

Are they too low?

What values should those numbers have?

How did you calculate those desired values?

Seriously dude, posting spam isn’t going to win any support on these boards. People here tend to question and think.

You ought to join them then.

What do you think of those facts? I guess they seem pretty reasonable?

Dude, it’s your thread. It’s up to you to tell us what point you think you are making here.

Beaten by Stalin and Pol Pot, and level pegging with Red China and the Nazis if we include China’s community service programmes and the Nazis foreign workers. But it’s all to play for as we go into the next round.

But did they get health care, eh? Eh?

You live in a society where 1 in 31 adults is currently a criminal, never mind those who are post-probation. Reflect on that for a moment. Is that what you want from government, is it even sane to criminalise that many people in a democracy?

You want me to explain to you why it’s troubling that 70% of prisoners in the society are non-white when 72.4% of the population is white? You want me to justify my position?

If you really need someone to explain to you, you really are in a whole world of trouble.

Pretty Vacant, perhaps you would do well to volunteer your time in your local county jail or prison, or possibly a juvenile detention center.

Having said that, while I agree, in general, that we do have a societal problem that is causing prison overcrowding, the answer is NOT destroying/dismantling the actual penal system/criminal justice system. Believe it or not, many of the criminals who go to prison have had a very long, very nasty career behind them of hurting many people, and they are not safely allowed in society.

And yes, this is anecdotal, as I’ve unfortunately worked with *some *pretty nasty kids in the juvenile system. They went on to be very violent adult offenders. We are fortunate these people are locked up.