What language? What is it?

I know a Thai-born woman who may be able to help. I’ll show her the printouts of your pictures tomorrow and see what she says.

It just amazes me how people don;t know their own culture or history. Being an American (and an Indian), I know both cultures and the history of both countries. Unfortunately, I know far too many Americans and Indians who don’t know anything about the country they live in and/or the language they speak. For the person who said it was an old Tamil script, well, he was an idiot. I speak the language and I can say that it is NOT Tamil (modern or ancient or medieval). However, the script is derived from Grantha which Tamil borrows from. When the Tamils of Pallava,Cholas, and Pandyas ventured off to Southeast Asia (Java, Cambodia, Bali, etc), they brought their culture and script with them.

What you have is a palm manuscript written in what seems like Bali. Please look it up here:

I have one with over 50 pages front and back. Have been trying to decipher it myself as well as digitizing it for online use. Hard to find references as Bali is now typically written in the Latin alphabet (aka English letters) as opposed to the old script…But, see Digitizing Balinese Lontars | Internet Archive Blogs where there is a project to digitize a large collection of these and you can even download them from www.archive.org

Cheers,

Quant Geek