What legitmate forms of energy do we have to choose from

waste to energy

solar collectors in space or the moon beemed via microwave to earth (ok you said solar)

There was a NASA experiment to get power from a long wire set up in orbit (IIRC it went unstable and was abandoned).

I am sorry, but I do not feel that is good enough for GD let alone GQ. Power companies will only be scrambling to build PV arrays if they return a decent ROI, or a 5 year (say) *financial * payback. It is now my belief that PV arrays do return an *energy * payback in about 10 years, because **Gorsnak ** has provided some evidence to suggest that is the case. If you are going to disagree with that evidence you need better justification than

A space tether is only good for converting kinetic energy of the spacecraft into electricity, or vice versa. It’s not really an energy source, just a method for converting energy in one form into another.

Actually most things mentioned in this thread fall into this category. PV cells are not energy sources, but just one method of converting solar radiation into electricity.

First of all I’m talking about large-scale power distribution systems, not roof-top units. Such systems require large fields full of mirrors. And you’re correct that cost is not the same as net energy, but the two would be intertwined in any analysis.

No. For PV systems to be viable (especially large-scale systems) they must convert DC to AC. This is not “because we happen to use AC for most of our electrical needs.” It’s because DC cannot be efficiently transferred over distance. Only AC can be efficiently transferred over distance, regardless of what the load requires.

Again, this has nothing whatsoever to do with whether PV is a net energy source. The assertion you made was that PV cost more energy than it generated, not that it isn’t a feasible means of large-scale energy production.

Secondly, you’re the electrical engineer, do tell us what the efficiency of inverters is. 90%? I’m guessing. You should know quite precisely. The cited study, which I do not fully trust, but which is the only thing resembling evidence before us, states that PV produces about 3x the energy it consumes. A 10% loss doesn’t tip the balance.

Third, you’re thinking inside the box. Imagine every house with rooftop PV powering DC appliances in the house, with an inverter plugging excess production into the grid, and drawing off the grid and converting to DC (which half our appliances do anyways) to run things when the panel is insufficient. Distributed power generation. Sure it can’t be the only source, but if every house in North America generated, say, 2 kilowatts per hour of sunshine, tell me what kind of impact that would have on things.

One more for your list*:

In Ireland we burn peat to make electricity.

*(Unless you want to count peat as a form of ultra-low-grade coal)