What looks like steel wool and is carried in bulk by rail?

It’s not completely useless, though: It’s great for tossing handfuls into the face of malicious fae.

I’ve spent years working with people who work in machine shops and I’ve never, ever heard anyone use the term “turnings” before…

Pepsi! Cheeseburger! Swarf!

Also works against Tina.

Turning is what happens to parts in a lathe (or on a potter’s wheel), versus, say, milling.

“conflict in the West Coast produces scrap metal” (5)

In Britain, “swarf” used to mean the oily, gritty stuff that collects in machinery and gets all over your hands. Hence Swarfega, an essential stand-by in every dad’s garage.

When I was a kid, I lived near a propeller manufacturer (airplane for sure and perhaps others) that had a tremendous piles of swarf out back. Big, long and really shiny coils. As a kid it looked like a Slinky fanatic’s dream to play with. We always rode bikes around the neighborhood and one day stopped to take a closer look. My friend put his foot on the swarf and started pushing up and down and it was even more inviting with everyone now wanting to climb up the mound.

And that is when an employee came out to dump a load and just screamed, “NOOOO!!!” and warned us to stay away. A fence went up within 24 hours.

And that is the story of how I didn’t remove my hands or skin from much of my body.

And yet the online Oxford Living Dictionary defines swarf as

From this it sounds like chips and turnings would be subsets of swarf.

In a prior career I traded these products in very large quantities. To the people I dealt with, the definitions were very much as I outlined above, with swarf being, as Colophon put it very well, gritty stuff, rather than slinky-like, and with very clearly different possible uses for the various grades. They used these words daily, and the meanings were precise and served a purpose. That doesn’t mean they (and I ) were neccesarily correct in that usage. But there is zero doubt that the railcar which the op saw contained what both the buyer and the seller would call turnings, and if it were to be found to contain any of what buyer and seller would call swarf, the load would be rejected or down-graded at destination (said destination will be a mini-mill)

We had fitters and turners. But our turners created swarf rather than turnings. And our long bits of swarf came from drilling, not turning. Perhaps because ‘a turning’ would have been the product, not the scrap.

I was sort of hoping the answer would be a raven on a writing desk.

It does seem like it’s time to treat the question as a riddle.

Until you find a guy who’ll sell you swarf at unbelievably low prices, and you’re smiling, until you run into a peeved pixie and find out that your swarf came from a shop that machined aluminum.