What magazines do you miss?

OK, they have a huge online archive now. I may be some time.

I loved FHM. Now we are stuck with the vastly inferior Maxim. And, from my youth, there was a magazine that published the words to top 40 songs in the 70s. I LOVED that magazine when I was a kid. I do not remember it’s name, though.

Spy was the first thing that I thought of after seeing the thread title - it was hilarious.

It’s technically still around, but I miss the hell outta the 90’s-era Games magazine.

“Spy” was the first one that came to my mind.

Also “Cinefantastique”, the original.

Gourmet. It wasn’t just recipes ( and they were great recipes), but travel, history, essays etc related to food. No other food magazine covered it all.

This was the magazine that connected us geeks and nerds together and some credit for inspiring the first trekkies.

Psssst…it’s still being published. Saw the latest issue in a local bookstore last month.

Yes. It had an elegant, old-world feel and was excellent reading.

Then it turned into People magazine with recipes and I canceled my subscription.

i miss Byte, when you were almost finished with it (if you skipped a bunch) the next issue was out.

And now it’s gone…

Mad.

I think they technically still publish it, but it’s not the same. Hasn’t been for a long time. Started declining when Gaines dies, but then once they started making it color WITH ADS?!?!? it was like bleh what is this crap

Creem. IMO, the best music magazine ever. Edited for a time by Lester Bangs, and even into the '80s the writing was funnier than anything in National Lampoon or Spy.

Nope that’s been dead a long time. Before it went kaput they tried turning it into a Maxim clone. What the fuck were they thinking.

I credit Sassy with getting me through adolescence. Girls probably have plenty of similar stuff of the web now. But at the time, Sassy felt like being let in on a big, awesome secret.

Oh I know but it turned into crap almost a decade ago.

History of Industry and Technology (or titles along those lines. I believe that there were some title changes over the years). I was, and I suppose still am, fascinated by how technologies came to be and the people who brought them about.

There were several great regular columns, like; They are still there (photo essays of old factories and machines. Machines were works of art during the industrial revolution).

I have a small collection (there were only 4 issues per year) and for a long time read and reread them.

They went through several affiliations. At one time General Motors was their sole sponsor, and the Inventor Hall of Fame for a while. Whoever the final owner was, apparently went bankrupt (I think owing me one or two years subscription fees) and shut down.

I wish there was some way to resurrect it (but in paper. I’m still not into reading magazines on a tablet of computer).

Bob

Another vote for Spy and Omni.

I’ll add Americas, which was published by the OAS (Organization of American States).

And another vote for Weekly World News.

Bob

OMNI, for sure.