What major city would you NOT want to live in?

Boston.

I have been there pretty often. Something about it just rubs me the wrong way.

I have lived in the Boston area for the last 8 years and I am still getting Indian burns all over my body.

I forgot to add mine.: Chicago

I have traveled all over the US and it is the only city that I truly have not liked. It wasn’t any one particular experience, it was just the overall feel of the place. Plus, it is freezing even by New England standards.

Tampa, Florida.

I actually did live there briefly in 1989.

It sucked.

“Northern Virginia,” if that counts. I’m sure actually living in downtown DC would be more interesting, but living in the sprawling suburbs makes me crazy. Worst. Traffic. Ever. There doesn’t seem to be any sort of plans to the roads, and there’s no way in hell you can walk anywhere. And the people weren’t very nice.

The weather was nicer than Chicago, but other than that I’m so much happier in Chicago.

Anyplace other than New York. I made a very conscious decision to live here.

Or Paris. Or Dublin. Or maybe Amsterdam. Not Madrid. Definitely not London.

No, wait…Chicago and Boston are okay. They are cosmopolitan, they have great art, and I like their attitudes.

But definitely no place in the southern US. Atlanta and anywhere in Texas are right out. Los Angeles is a major NO.

But New Orleans would be all right. The food is really great.

Cleveland would be okay. I love the orchestra and the sausage.

Hmm. I hate Columbus, Ohio and I love Los Angeles.

Why?

Love Seattle, hated New Haven.

Anyplace in the south because I hate to sweat, which I do copiously even here in Seattle. Heat and humidity are not my friends.

I’d think he was talking about Boston…except it wasn’t casual racism. It was intense, directed, and pointed. Plus, ugly, ugly city. With horrid people.
Living there again would be some sort of punishment.

NY is second.

The reasons why I hate Columbus, Ohio? They are too numerous to mention. First of all, I do not consider Columbus as a major city. Yes, I know everyone in the Midwest does. A city in which the state fair is still a big deal…is not a real city. Trust me, the Ohio State Fair is still a BIG DEAL here in Columbus. What is the other big deal here? Oh yes. Ohio State Football. Life comes to an end…and everyone is an expert.

Well, I live, work, and go to school in columbus, and I havent heard a single soul make a big deal about the state fair. It got about as much attention as the Ribs and Jazz festival. However, I think its ridiculous how the entire city shuts down for OSU games. What a joke. Its hard to be a normal citizen if your not a buckeye fan, and I hate football.

Sydney. Too many cars, too many stupid roads, too expensive and too many damn people!

On the plus side, yes Sydney has a big gay population, and it’s a tad more cultural than Brisbane… but even that’s changing.

So - no moving to Sydney for me. I’d consider Melbourne, if I got a $30K payrise :smiley:
Max.

The Incident
Countee Cullen

Once riding in old Baltimore,
Heart-filled, head-filled with glee,
I saw a Baltimorean
Keep looking straight at me.

Now I was eight and very small,
And he was no whit bigger,
And so I smiled, but he poked out
His tongue, and called me, “Nigger.”

I saw the whole of Baltimore
From May until December;
Of all the things that happened there
That’s all that I remember

Gary, Indiana (Industrial blight)

East St. Louis, Illinois (Buckminster Fuller once called it the Calcutta of America)

Salt Lake City (Green jello and Mormons. 'nough said.)

Anywhere in Florida (humidity, mosquitos, hurricanes, Jeb Bush)

And I am sure there are a lot of people who would put my city, Las Vegas, at the top of their list. I love it here, but I know it is not for everybody.

I’ve always thought I would like Seattle, because of the rain. However, I’ve always wondered if I like rain so much because I’ve always lived in Colorado, where it doesn’t rain much.

I would never want to live someplace hot and humid, which lets out quite a lot of major cities. I’ve been to LA-- just for a day, mind you-- but I wasn’t impressed.

Everyone keeps bashing LA. Although I don’t live there now, I have to admit I liked it while I was there. Granted, I lived in West Hollywood…but there is Silverlake, Highland Park, Fairfax and Melrose area, Studio City and other areas that are very nice. For the casual tourist, you might not find these places and I can understand not liking greater LA…but if you live there awhile, you will know where to go. There is the old joke that LA is 27 suburbs in search of a city. Unlike most big urban areas in the US, Los Angeles doesn’t really have the one place to go. And year-round the weather is just about as close to perfect as you could hope to find. My only complaints about living there was the traffic and the insane rise in the cost of living.

I’m with Maxxxie about Sydney: it’s the absolutely worst place I’ve ever seen for pedestrians. I spent 24 hours there recently, 18 of which were standing at pedestrian crossings waiting for them to turn green. The sequences are completely unpredictable.

Mind you, the surrounding scenery isn’t bad.

My all-time worst is LONDON. I have lived the greater part of my 45 years here and it’s shite. Everything. But particularly the people.

Well you might have new Mayor-President soon, so things might pick up!