What Major Misconceptions Did You Have About Creative Works?

Nor Huysmans neither; there’s a hilarious passage in A Rebours about Des Esseintes, the epicene aesthete protagonist, deciding that his turtle is too drab and needs gilding and inlaying with rare gems in order to set off the carpet: there follows paages of lavishly sensual description of the types of jewels, at the end of which he ever-so-off-handedly mentions that the turtle died.

I assumed that All Quiet on the Western Front was about battling native Americans out in the US west during the 1800s, maybe about Custer or something similar. Oops, turns out that “western front” actually means something specific.

Hard to believe I remember that.

When Things Were Rotten was a great show; I can still sing the theme song:

They laughed, they loved, they fought, they drank,
They jumped a lot of fences,
They robbed the rich, gave to the poor
Except what they kept for expenses

Misty Rowe. Wait, there was other stuff?

I thought Dr. Strangelove was just a satire, but I had no idea it would go beyond that into hilarity. I knew it would be humorous, maybe snarky and wry, but not laugh out loud funny.

Before I ever saw “Birth of a Nation,” I thought it might have something to do with the American Revolution.

I always thought Catch-22 was a real thing. I was astonished to find out Joseph Heller made it up for the book.

Watson stated in The Adventure of the Missing Three-Quarter that he had weaned Holmes off of cocaine and morphine, although possibly not permanently.

Not a specific work, but a band: As an 80’s kid, there were a bunch of “old” bands that I categorized as “heavy metal” in my brain. Many of them I’d never even knowingly listened to, but you could just tell by their love of leather and their names, hard and dark and violent sounding: Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Jethro Tull…
…Jethro Tull…
Um, not quite. :smack:

I assumed for years, based on the title, that Glengarry Glen Ross was about… I dunno, assumed identities or secret lives or something. I think my mind heard it as “Glen Garry, Glen Ross” and it didn’t help that all the component words are names. It wasn’t until I saw the Always Be Closing scene (or perhaps a parody thereof) that I went and watched the film.

I was going to the movies with a girl once who thought I was a bit strange for suggesting Wag the Dog. She assumed it was a children’s movie. About a dog. Named “Wag”.

“Glen Garry left the room before Glen Ross burst in to disarm the gunman? Come to think of it, I’ve never seen Glen and Glen in the same place at the same time!”

::heads to IMDB::

I learned something new today.

Last night’s Simpsons: the text that Bart was writing on the chalkboard during the opening:
JUDAS PRIEST IS NOT “DEATH METAL”

Well, sure… it sounds stupid when YOU say it… :smiley:

In your defense, Grammy voters thought the same thing in 1989.

Well, I KNEW it was about real estate salesmen in a general sense, but the title always made me think it was a mannered melodrama about the sale of a country estate.

And the band took out an advertisement to defend the choice because “the flute is a heavy, metal instrument.”

Really?

REALLY?!

Oddly, that does make me feel better. Not about thinking Jethro Tull was Metal when I was a kid, but for continuing to think they were Metal well into my thirties…my late thirties… :o

I know I read Death of a Salesman in school and thinking it was one of the most depressing things I ever read.
Up until now I thought nothing at all happened in Waiting for Godot. Is that why it’s funny?