What medical conditions make you unable to wear a mask?

My face. It’s kind of hard to put on a mask without touching one’s face. And washing your hands whenever you touch your face is, like, the primary thing the CDC has been saying about how to stop the spread.

It’s not like the coronavirus will magically be on your hands. When I go for a bike ride, I leave my house (CV-free, as far as I know, as are my hands), ride my bike, and then I can put on a mask when I get to the destination, since my hands haven’t touched anything that might be contaminated. Wash or sanitize before leaving my destination if I’ve touched things, remove the mask when I’m ready to get back on the bike by only touching the loops of the mask, ride home, wash hands.

You’re supposed to wash your hands when at work or in a store or whatever, because you don’t know who has been there before you and touched what. At home, assuming others living in your house don’t have it, it’s not that important.

Rosacea.
In addition to rosacea, my wife has asthma and, if her mouth and nose are both covered, she feels claustrophic, which can lead to panic attacks. She was offered a chance to go back to work, but would have had to wear a mask not only in the building, but at all times she was on the property. She of course turned it down, but is still eligible for unemployment because the mask requirement meant that that wasn’t an offer of suitable employment.

I wish to note that “has asthma” is not a universal bar to wearing masks. I myself have asthma and while I’m not a huge fan I don’t have a problem with wearing one. I suspect that having mild intermittent asthma in my case factors into this, as well as having had prior jobs were wearing masks of various sorts was a non-negotiable requirement, factors into this.

I would not want to be barred from employment that requires mask-wearing based solely on a history of asthma, nor would I want my ability to wear a mask for long hours to be used against someone with asthma who, due to their own particular situation/symptoms/medical condition finds wearing one intolerable or unhealthy.

I guess I’m saying we should be cautious about blanket statements.

This. I wear a mask to stores. I do OK in the store but out in the heat it triggers the feeling that I’m not getting oxygen. I have to take it off at that point. It’s not an option.

We had a local doctor make a PSA saying masks don’t decrease oxygen or increase CO2 and the feeling caused by masks is due to heat. I’ve tested the oxygen side of the statement with an oximeter and it seems true. I saw no lowering of blood oxygen levels. Not sure how to test for a rise in CO2.

Doesn’t change anything for people who are prone to claustrophobia. In the 20 second walk to the car I had to take off the mask. It might not just be temperature. My mask was tight enough that it restricted flow. I was drawing the mask in as I breathed. It was like trying to breath through a stuffy nose. People who experience claustrophobia understand how quickly this spins out of control.

In pediatrics we are anticipating many calls from parents requesting letters excusing students from face covering requirements.

Very few will be written. Asthma? If a child is having that bad of a flare they should be home under care, not in school.

The main one may be autistic kids with sensory issues. And for them the expectation is for parents to work at desensitizing with different face coverings at home with the back up plan being a face shield. Face shields that curve around minimally do a decent job preventing spread from that child. Maybe even better than some choices in cloth face coverings.

I get tested twice for oxygen at cardiac rehab – once resting, then one whilst exercising. It’s always up around 96-99, same as it was when I was in hospital back before covid.

Thanks to bi-weekly shots dupixent my eczema has cleared up. Without that I would have had quite the breakout wearing a mask. Still would wear one… but I would not look so pretty.

I have asthma that is serious enough that I must use daily corticosteroid drugs to keep it under control. i carry an emergency inhaler with me at all times, just in case.

And I have no problems whatsoever using a mask for long periods of time (hours). You’d have to have an extremely serious medical lung condition to have difficulty using a mask. Perhaps end stage COPD, where you are on oxygen 24/7.

Yes, but surely you understand, not everyone with asthma is just like you, right?

I know someone with very severe asthma who absolutely cannot wear a mask, (has a note from their Dr!)

You understand, just because you can, doesn’t necessarily mean everyone else can, right? There are indeed people with asthma who cannot tolerate masks, your personal experience not withstanding.

Indeed. I was simply providing my personal anecdote.

And incidentally, I could quite easily go to my doctor and get a note that I am unable to wear a mask. It would be trivial for me to get one.

This person could wear a face shield. It’s not clear how much protection it gives to others but it has to be better than nothing. There is evidence it protects the person from others.

About this idea that people with serious asthma can’t wear masks: absolutely untrue. My son has had serious asthma since he was a baby–is on multiple meds, has had many ER trips, and is followed by a pulmonologist. Since GETTING COVID would be disastrous for him, he seldom goes out and is very cautious. Since he’s a decent human being, he wears a mask when he does go out. His pulmonologist said it was OK. If he gets an asthma attack while he’s wearing a mask (and to be clear, masks alone don’t CAUSE asthma attacks), he leaves, uses hand sanitizer, uses his rescue inhaler, waits a bit, uses sanitizer again, and re-dons the mask.

People with severe COPD may be unable to tolerate n95 masks, but they should recognize that without any masks, they could spread COVID before they’re symptomatic, and that some of those others will have health conditions (including COPD) that would make a case of COVID fatal.

To answer the original question…

One of the CDC recommendations is that you not wear a mask if you might be unable to take it off. I have a friend with epilepsy, who, if she has a seizure, has the possibility of vomiting during the seizure, and, with a mask on, could aspirate the vomit.

I haven’t heard what her solution is, I know she is a responsible person who will work to find a way to deal with this.

If you cannot wear a mask, you can make an ersatz face shield by taking a piece of clear thin plastic, such as a page protector, punch a hole near each top corner, then thread the earpieces of glasses or sunglasses through the holes so that the plastic curves around in front of your face. There are a number of other methods to make similar homemade shields easily found through Google.

Also plastic soda bottles. Tons of videos on these.

Here’s a recent JAMA article saying that past testing of shields has shown them to be very effective, though more testing would be helpful. Seems like shields are the way to go for some people.

As for asthma, I require a steroid inhaler twice a day and periodic checking of O levels (and obviously an emergency inhaler). I don’t love the mask, but I can wear it, because my asthma is ‘controlled’ more or less. I’m having a hard time understanding how anyone on maintenance medication can’t wear a mask.

SFB
(Shit For Brains)

Good on you!

About the only condition is panic attacks. Even Asthma isnt a excuse for the short time you are in a store.

Thanks for the article!