What movies got rave reviews by the critics, yet were vastly overrated?

I didn’t think Dark Knight was worth its hype either, and I even wrote a post about it back in June.

(Don’t read it if you don’t want to).

Wow. Your experience was so different from mine that “night” and “day” doesn’t even begin to cover it. I saw it in the theater, and was so knocked out by the film, so literally stunned that I was still in my seat after the credits ended and the theater lights came up trying to get everything together to stand up and head home. I was poleaxed by this film and consider it one of the greatest films ever made.

You didn’t happen to see this film on TV did you?

The Departed.

I wrote a lengthy post awhile ago discussing my issues with this truly, truly mediocre film.

Gladiator - Okay, but hardly Best Picture (which it won) quality.

Drag Me To Hell - I was pretty disappointed by this, in large part because of the rave (92% on Rotten Tomatoes) reviews I’d read that convinced me to see it in the theaters instead of waiting for DVD. Sorry, it just wasn’t that great.

Wall-E was visually gorgeous, but had, IMO, the worst plot of any of the Pixar films. It practically beat you over the head with its green message, and the characters were easily forgetable.

I think I enjoyed Gran Torino a little bit the first time I saw it but the second time I watched it I absolutely hated it. The acting was terrible on all fronts, Clint Eastwood was really only mediocre.

I don’t know, does Napoleon Dymanite count as rave reviews (71%)? I didn’t find that particularly funny.

Eyes Wide Shut. Rich people really like sex, and will kill to keep this a secret.

Yeah, overrated is such a silly term. It’s basically “what movies did you not like that other people did.”

I’ve seen the theatrical version and the director’s cut on Lasderdisc.

I would have to definitely agree with Gladiator. It had the feel of a circa-1970s TV miniseries that might have starred Richard Chamberlain.

Fargo AND Pulp Fiction. I thought both were just appalling. It’s not that I can’t intellectually understand why they are so much admired by critics, but I really, really did not enjoy.

OK, you get points for giving it a fair shake then. Sorry it didn’t work for you.

We saw that in the theater at a sneak preview, and thought it was one of the least funny comedies we’ve ever seen. My reaction was that it was a film by the cool kids about outcasts. Actual outcasts don’t make films about outcasts, they make films about the cool people they wish they were (see: Tarantino, Quentin).

Agree 100%

Another vote for Titanic. Hated every minute of it. I wish I could remember who said (on a TV talk show) that the reason 12-year old girls liked it so much was because the script sounded like it had been written by one.

I’m Not There. I’m guessing it was praised by critics, I know some of the actors were nominated for it but I couldn’t get past the first 15 minutes. It was dull and confusing and all over the place. It was artsy for artsy’s sake.

Tootsie - I thought comedies were supposed to be funny.

The Deer Hunter - What utter crap.

I remember when **The English Patient **came out with all the critical buzz. A lot of people I know went to see it. No one liked it.

“Would you just die, already!” seemed to be everyone’s reaction.

**And There Will Be Blood. **Ugh! Nothing in art should be that bleak. Toss us smile. Life is funny.

Agree with Freudian Slit, Gosford Park was a great movie–not overrated.

The movie that takes the bill for me in this category is Mulholland Drive–pretentious bullshit masked as meaningful art. Not.

Agree with this. It was really pretty, but I just didn’t connect with it like I have the other Pixar movies.