What new technology will we have in 30 year?

Hrmm. Good points.

I still think a plastic house would be better, but I’m bitter because I’ve found 6000 dollars worth of water damage from a longtime leak in my siding. I see your points though, the fossil fuels needed would be excessive.

I still stand by my Cecil-bots though!

While Cardinal may think the Turing Test is the Holy Grail of AI, I find it more to be a sepulcher or the Holy See of AI. Your religious metaphors may vary. Christendom. Haven’t typed that word since college.

Can we count this as another three posts saying the same thing?

While Cardinal may think the Turing Test is the Holy Grail of AI, I find it more to be a sepulcher or the Holy See of AI. Your religious metaphors may vary. Christendom. Haven’t typed that word since college.

Saves paper.

Ah, they’re 1920’s style “Death Rays”.

Hydrogen powered cars.

This GM Hy-wire was tested on Top Gear a few months ago. Fully functional prototype. Amazingly versatile (you can pretty much clip different body styles to the same base), no environmental damage, and if the sources were reliable, marketable in about 15 to 20 years.

Virtual Presence (in its infancy). With special equipment, you’ll be able to sit in a room (say, your office at work) and have a holographic representation (or avatar) be projected to another room or area elsewhere. The people in the other room will be able to see you move, talk, gesture etc real-time. In return, you will see and hear exactly as if you were in that room.

50 years beyond, the equipment for this will be prevalent, allowing more freedom for movement, hundreds of thousands of places to send/receive, and rudimentary smell and touch will be available.

I’m holding out for a truth machine.

Actually, I believe the Turing Test is not as “holy grail”-ish as it used to be; we’ve already got natural-language parser bots (in internet chat rooms, no less) that can do a good job at fooling folks into thinking they’re real people.

I haven’t been keeping up with the field, but the impression I got is that citing the Turing test as the pinnacle of AI is nowadays like calling Newton’s Laws the pinnacle of science. :slight_smile: