What post-War art do you think will "stand the test of time"?

Pre-War!!!

Clarification: The Hobbit is from 1937, the trilogy is from 1954-1955…

In your OP you said: “What art from 1945-2014 holds up?”. Now, you reject my examples because you have decided on a new cutoff date. Sorry but I have a feeling that you started this thread so that we would approve of your… prejudice?

I’m also a bit puzzled by your fixation on Dickens. Why do you keep on refering to him? Do you think all artists should have the same profile as his for their art to be valid? If so, then goodbye Bach for instance as Gyrate pointed out. That doesn’t make sense.

Regarding the examples I provided. Ligeti started writing in the late 40s but only hit it big in the early 60s. Dutilleux started quite a bit earlier but his stature only started growing in the 70s. They fit IMHO, unless you move the goalposts again.

Perec is an example of a post WWII writer who was both well-known and critically acclaimed. Still is by the way:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25299446

@Gyrate

Sorry about Adams but I must confess that I’m not very familiar with his music. I’ve only listened to The Dharma at Big Sur and, while I certainly enjoyed it, I cannot say that I found it particularly great or even memorable. I’ll try and listen to a few more pieces of his in the future.

I think comics will have legs and that graphic art will be compared favorably to painting. As such, there will have to be a set of authors/artists of historical interest. Gaiman has a decent shot. Frank Miller will be a little obscure. Tezuka will be remembered (along with his foundation). In anime, Hideaki Anno will remain a name. New Yorker cartoons may or may not persist… I wonder whether the business model can survive.

Architecture. Hm.

I sing in a choir that does lots of contemporary compositions, and I’ve heard it claimed that the most “popular” (among fairly serious classical choirs) a capella choral composition from the past few decades is the Ave Maria by Franz Biebl.

I was thinking the same. Alan Moore has a huge oeuvre (fnar fnar), much of which is well-known and popular (horrible film adaptations sort of helping, sort of hindering). There are a number of other graphic novels included in lists of must-read books including Art Spiegelman’s Maus that will be less popular but remain critically well-regarded.

Lots of famous post-war architects- I M Pei, Frank Gehry, arguably **Daniel Libeskind **(although I agree with the view that Libeskind is a second-rate Gehry), **Norman Foster **etc etc. And of course buildings tend to endure and be extremely visible.

It’s a lovely piece but again, it’s one short simple motet. There’s not much ‘there’ there.

But the same is true of the Pachelbel Canon.

I don’t think that the Biebl Ave Maria is going to be particularly familiar to the general public, but I think it’s at least possible that it will be somewhat regularly performed by the choirs of the future, assuming there are choirs of the future who sing the same kind of repertoire as the choirs that currently sing it, if you see what I’m saying. I feel like it’s got at least a good shot as any other choral piece written recently, which I believe is the point of the thread?

I’m surprised that, in a thread specifically about post-war art, no one has mentioned television. It’s the medium that defined the second half of the twentieth century, and will likely remain ubiquitous for the foreseeable future. We already have plenty of examples of shows that have maintained a degree of popularity for fifty years or more, so there’s a good pool of candidates to pick from for long term endurance, too.

The Original King Kong will not lose it’s power to fascinate.
Tolkien? Yes, I think so.

Lovecraft? Yes.

All Pre-War.

Hasn’t it already? How many 20-year-olds have seen it? I’m 40 and I’ve never seen it, although I’ve seen it parodied infinitely.