What remains of the Dutch history of NYC?

The Wallkill River flows north from New Jersey into the Hudson. Named after the Waal River in the Netherlands.

Kill Van Kull

Whether or not it comes from Dutch, Coney is, and has been for a very long time, an English word which means rabbit.

Kil is also a celtic/scottish geographical name - Kildonan, Kilkenny, Kildare…

It’s been argued that the modern American concept of a “district attorney” is a direct descendant of the Dutch colonial magistrate schepen.

Stuyvesant High School. A public high school that is one of the best high schools, public or private, in the country (or for that matter, the world). While known for math and science they also have some athletic teams that call themselves “The Flying Dutchmen”.

Oh and, beyond math and science, Thelonious Monk and Tim Robbins are graduates among a bunch of other notable people.

Are there any surviving buildings or other physical structures (apart from the aferomentioned roads) from the New Amsterdam period?

Except that Jonas Bronck wasn’t Dutch.

Even old “New York” was once “New Amsterdam?” Huh. Why’d they change it?

When the Brits took over in 1664, they preferred to honor their Duke of York rather than the great Dutch city.

(Well, technically, to honor the northern English city under the Duke’s ostensible title.)

I can’t say. People just liked it better that way.

Windmill I get, but beaver? I’ve been to Amsterdam and I never saw any…

Ah, never mind.

Funny! And are we sure that’s a windmill, not a stylized frond of marijuana?

Both of 'em. The only President born in NYC had more than a little Dutch blood: Theodore Roosevelt Birthplace National Historic Site (U.S. National Park Service)

I didn’t notice the dreaded Van Wyck Expressway mentioned yet…

FeAudry: slight correction - The (Dutch) Reformed Church in America still exists. The (German) Reformed Church in the U.S is the one that eventually became part of the UCC. Both dropped the nationalities from their names.

Here is one - oldest house in NYC (well, Brooklyn at least)

Demographically speaking, you have to put it into perspective and consider the fact that when the Dutch finally turned the city over to the English there were only about 5000 people living in Dutch Manhattan, and maybe 2000 people in Brooklyn. You can imagine how those numbers were swamped by the later waves of immigration from Ireland, Italy, Eastern Europe, etc.

So… did “going Dutch” (or “Dutch treat”) originate in NY, or Holland?