What role does “reading law” play in legal education today?

AK84, do you have a divided profession in Pakistan?

Fixed error caused by autocorrect.

True. Con artist Frank Abagnale passed the Louisiana Bar exam and was hired by the state Attorney General’s office.

Since 1973, no. In practice, the divide between litigators and transactional types has only grown wider since then.

Since 1973, no. In practice, the divide between litigators and transactional types has only grown wider since then.

After qld, you do 6 months of pupilage under an experienced Advocate (7 years call) and after an interview and or exam (provinces/territories differ) you are given a limited license, wbich excludes the High Court of your province. After two further years and a very awful interview you can get a full one.

Well, the US exam does cover things like Rules of Evidence, criminal procedure and Civil Procedure.

I would hope so.

What makes it very awful?

Three High Court judges and the Advocate General of your province (or one of his deputies usually) take that interview. Being asked question from every angle simultaneously and on every possible topic under the sun.

I am in the process of signing up to do this in the state of CA. I haven’t started yet so there’s a lot I can’t speak to. I decided to go this route instead of law school for several reasons. I already have two college degrees, so I know how to be self disciplined. I have physical problems that make sitting in a classroom difficult. Law school is super expensive and there isn’t one where I live and it would be highly impractical to move my family, sell my house, etc.

I also don’t wish to become a “high powered” attorney. I wish to be some kind of small town kinda gal and possibly just work for non-profits or some other “think globally act locally” kinda thing. Maybe a little family law on the side.

I also met a lawyer who I get along quite well with, whose style fits mine like a glove. It’s common to work for the person who trained you, tho it’s certainly not required, so I could have a job coming out of this.

I’ve been working in a non profit profession that’s not specifically legal but has a lot of connection with law for 15 years. There’s a ton I don’t know, but I get the general idea.

The Bar pass rate is very low on this path, so I want to be realistic, but I figure in four years, I’ll be four years older. Do I want to be more enriched and have a better resume in four years or do I want to be doing this exact thing four more years?

(Sometimes having no grades is a great thing. I know I can “pass” this apprenticeship)

That does sound … challenging. :eek:

Is the Advocate General the equivalent of the Attorney General, or head of the Law Society, or ?

I just had to write three exams at the end of the bar course.

Yeah, it was. Out of 30 people in my group, 8 were accepted. Although, I was glad not to have another written exam.

The Advocate general is the senior law officer of the province and by virtue of his office the head of the Bar council.

I take it that you were one of the eight?

I well remember my own bar courses and exams. Those I somehow managed to handle; I would not want to have to undergo an interview such as you describe.

Strangely enough, when the term “solicitor” is used in the United States, it often has a meaning that seems to be directly opposite of the meaning it carries as part of the barrister-solicitor distinction.

What I’m talking about is that the Office of the U.S. Solicitor General is the subdivision of the U.S. Department of Justice that is responsible for representing the federal government in court, specifically, in advocacy before the U.S. Supreme Court.

Similarly, many other federal government agencies have their own Office of the Solicitor whose function is to advocate on behalf of the agency (in pleadings and oral argument) before a court.

Many state governments also make a similar use of the term “solicitor.” For example, there is an Office of the Solicitor General of Ohio, which represents the government of the State of Ohio before the Ohio Supreme Court and the U.S. Supreme Court.

The title dates to England, where the Solicitor-General is the deputy to the Attorney General, and normally carries out litigation functions.