What self-interested incentives did white Northerners have to oppose slavery?

Says the guy who quoted a garbage unsourced WP article and supported it by saying “I already knew it’s true.” I mean, pot, kettle, come on. Bring a non-garbage cite before you deign to challenge someone else for one.

Moderator Note

@Exapno_Mapcase and @HMS_Irruncible this is not the proper forum to bicker over cites.

If you want to question or attack a cite, feel free to do so, but your posts are attacking each other’s ability to provide cites, which is an attack on the user, and I’m sure you are aware that attacks on users are forbidden outside the Pit.

Dial it back and focus on the factual aspects of the topic, please.

Ah, the dangers of using Wikipedia alone are noted, but as a resource, it is remains invaluable. How can that be garbage and great at the same time?

Well, yes it is true that just using Wikipedia is not great, but it is the cites the one has to go for. (Great short video from Overly Sarcastic Productions explaining that “Paradox”).

As a point for you, it is to note that in that particular Wiki article most of the cites are not linking to sources properly now so that WP page needs some maintenance, however as a point for @Exapno_Mapcase, the sources from proper historians that the Wikipedia editors posted are available:

SLAVERY IN ANTE-BELLUMSOUTHERN INDUSTRIES Series D: Selections from the University of Virginia LibraryPart 1: Mining and Smelting Industries

SLAVERY IN ANTE-BELLUMSOUTHERN INDUSTRIES

Series C: Selections from theVirginia Historical SocietyPart 2: Railroad and Canal ConstructionIndustries and Other Trades and Industries

Editorial AdviserCharles B. DewAssociate Editor and Guide compiled by Martin Schipper

And the third cite link was still working, one can make a point that one historian is controversial, but his sources were/are good.

Now, it has to be noted that this side discussion came when another user claimed that “Slavery didn’t work in factories”. It really did, not very efficiently, but the profit margin was a big reason why there were ways to make it work. Of course, not as big as cotton farming, but even there slaves were put to work with machinery. It was thanks to the industrialization of cotton farming (and the huge profits that made) one big reason the south decided to double down on slavery.