What should I watch on HBO? I have a 7 day free trial

Another vote for Chernobyl. Barry, while very good, and certainly worth watching, never fully grabbed me.

John Adams was fantastic as well - it’s a 7 episode miniseries, starring Paul Giamatti as John Adams.

Band of Brothers

Also the Pacific is 10 hours and it’s good but not quite as good as Band of Brothers. Covers Pacific theater of WW 2. There is talk they are doing a version based on the Army Air Force in WW 2.

I have seen band of Brothers and it’s certainly good, but will probably not watch it again.
I will check out the Pacific, thank you.

Seconding True Detective season 1.

Check out Mr. Show with Bob and David if you haven’t already…

I can only watch free first episodes on HBO. So I have repeatedly watched Suranne Jones in Gentleman Jack. Based on the life of Anne Lister in early 1800’s England. She’s dashing, tough, smart, dresses much like a man and pursues love with gentle ladies. It’s fast paced shows Anne as very accomplished in handling people and the business matters of the family estate. I have only seen the remaining episodes once on a free access weekend. Another one I can repeat watch many times is Catherine the Great with Helen Mirren.

There is a recent documentary on HBO called Showbiz Kids, in which a bunch of now-adult former child actors (Wil Wheaton, Henry Thomas, Evan Rachel Wood, Milla Jovovich, etc) talk about their experiences. I recommend watching it. If nothing else, the next time I hear a story about a former child star who got into drugs or alcohol or other misadventures, I’ll understand how that might have occurred.

The series Entourage was a lot of fun. I’ll throw another vote for Six Feet Under as well. Oh, and the series Hung is entertaining, too.

Of course, if you never caught what the fuss was all about, there’s the Game of Thrones series!

If you’re looking for comedy with an edge, and you don’t want to worry about catching every episode in order, check out Curb Your Enthusiasm. Larry David says the kind of things that many of us think but don’t have the balls to say out loud. Very funny ensemble comedy on HBO.

I loved Entourage, although even at the time, it got all kinds of criticism and today would probably be called misogynistic. I just thought it was funny. (I even paid to see the Entourage movie in a movie theater.)

Oh, my god, Turtle (the character on Entourage) was absolutely disgusting in the first coupla episodes. They must’ve reamed him in the focus groups or something, because the writers cleaned that shit up on the double. He wound up being such a lovable teddy bear towards the end.

Anyway, based on this here thread, I re watched the first coupla episodes of “Curb Your Enthusiasm” and feel the need to post a trigger warning.
Do not watch, if people interrupting & talking over each other is a problem for you. I’d forgotten how pervasive that schtick is - and that’s my general means of talking in the first place!

That could be because the show isn’t actually scripted. They just outline the ideas and then pretty much improvise the rest. I find the interrupting and talking over each other kind of refreshing personally. More like real life.

thank you all for your imput - I checked out some of what you suggested and then have mostly watched movies, since I didn’t want to start a series with just a week.

I’m currently watching That Thing You Do and loving it.

today is the last day. does anyone know if I have til the end of the day or if I lose it at some random time?

for anyone else wondering, on the lasy day of my free trial it did NOT last all day but ended mid-afternoon.

I’m good with shows to watch for now, but next up is a 30 day (!!) free trial of Acorn.

free is good!