What small kindnesses do you do throughout your day?

If I’m ducking into the store for 3 or 4 items, and the guy behind me has 1 or 2, I’ll switch with him.

I watch for falling babies when their parents aren’t paying attention in the grocery store and the little one decides to stand up. I’ll stand right there until the parent has moved his or her attention back to the cart.

I donate all my stuff to the battered women’s shelter in our area.

I pay tolls for the guy behind me.

I help people find lost pets.

I let friends bury their pets on my property.

I just re-read my first point. I don’t switch items with them (unless it’s expensive wine). I just switch place with them in line.

That is really sexy. If I was a single mom, you would totally have my phone number. :wink:
I make a conscious effort to let people into traffic. Especially if they are trying to pull out of a parking lot onto a crowded street.

Some good ideas here.

These things aren’t really altruistic because I do 'em because I enjoy 'em:

• always hold doors for anybody behind me or coming through the opposite way, and do it with a smile. It’s just nice to see faces ease up and smile back.

• make a point to respond to kids who do something polite, like wait for me get off an elevator, thank me for something, etc. Too often kids who aren’t pests are invisible to adults. It’s fun to watch their faces light up when a grown up says ‘thank you’ to them, just like to another adult.

• Use spare change to plug expired parking meters at cars next to mine in pay lots. Who needs parking tickets?

• I hate pushy people and line jumpers so if a bunch of us are waiting to be served–at deli counters, stores, etc.–I make a point to smile, step back and say, “You were here first” to folks already waiting. It reduces the annoyance/suspicion level and makes the wait a lot more pleasant.

• offer to let people who look really frazzled, tired, rushed, etc. to swap my place in line. I simply won’t shop anymore when I’m rushed for time because it drives me so nuts, so the extra few minutes aren’t any sacrifice.

• Treat polite kids at the local convenience store when they struggle to pay for small things. It’s in a poor neighborhood and they don’t have much. They don’t painstakingly count out those pennies to be annoying; they barely–and sometimes don’t–have enough to buy a soft drink, air for their bike tires, etc. I enjoy asking them if they’d allow it to be my treat, then buy it for them. It’s never amounted to more than a couple of dollars but they light up like Christmas came early.

• Load up on toiletries at sample racks at the drug store and dollar stores, then drop the stuff off at the nearby battered women’s shelter. They’re always in dire need of toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, etc.–basics–for families that come in with nothing. Bulk deals on toilet paper and diapers are always a good bet too.

• Always, always smile and thank service people, especially supermarket baggers. Usually literally thankless jobs, and they’re treated like they’re invisible. It doesn’t matter that ‘it’s their job’. They’re human and deserve to be treated courteously.

I’ll do whatever I can to make somebody’s day a little easier.

-I’ll usually hold the door for anyone following behind me or a little ahead of me (whether by a few feet or a few yards, encumbered or not.)
-I try to be polite and make smalltalk with those I encounter (cashiers, waitstaff, whoever.)
-If someone near me drops or spills something, I will help to pick it up if it would make it easier on them (such as in the case of dropped papers on a windy day; I’ll help grab papers so the owner doesn’t have to chase them)
-On a crowded (or not so crowded) bus or subway train, I’ll frequently stand, leaving seats open for people who may need them more.

I think a lot of it boils down to the fact that I’ve had my share of bad days and I realize that there’s a decent chance someone around me is having one. If I can make their day even a little better, why not?

I was always taught to hold doors for people, and it would frankly amaze me if someone got offended by what I view as a common courtesy. I’m more offended when people don’t hold the door for me.

If anyone is having trouble reaching something up high, I will always ask if they’d like me to get it for them.

I usually wish cashiers a good day or night, as well as customers.

I always say thank you to customers. After all, I appreciate being thanked.

I always move over to the next lane if someone is trying to merge, but that could just be concern for my own safety!

I have always opened doors for people. I will always let someone jump in front of me in line if they have fewer items than I do. Actually, I do quite a few things without even thinking about it just because I like to make strangers happy.

One thing I have noticed recently though. I always had the habit of looking at the ground when I walked. I’m a bit clumsy so I liked to see where I was stepping. Since I returned to retail, I’ve had to learn to look up as I walk. I’m supposed to greet or at least smile at all customers as I pass them. I’ve noticed that I can’t stop myself from doing this, even when not wearing my apron or not even in the store. It’s very noticable when just a simple random smile to a stranger brightens their day. It always makes me feel good.

I hold doors open for people following, and open them for someone coming the other way if it looks like they could use the help.

I always treat waitpersons and people working checkout counters nicely, even on the (mostly rare) occasions that they aren’t providing particularly good service. Well, maybe not so much if they’re grumply and sullen, but I try.

I’ll give up my place in line if someone seemes really rushed or is carrying something heavy.

I give directions if I know them, and say “Sorry, I have no idea” if I don’t.

So, nothing too out of the ordinary, right?

I do a lot of the above things - holding doors, getting out of people’s way, ending cell phone conversations before I get to check out…

When I have change in my pocket, I always drop a penny or two in the parking lot. It really makes some peoples day to find a penny - not because it’s money, because it’s good luck.

I volunteer as Corresponding Secretary for my hockey team’s Booster Club - at this level, these kids are not making a lot of money, so having sheets, towels, dishes, etc. provided for them makes a big difference in their comfort level. We also provide a hot meal for the visiting team after the game before they get on the bus - in to-go boxes so they can take it on the bus with them. As much enjoyment as I get from watching the games, I like the idea of making life a little more comfortable for the guys who give me such enjoyment.

I foster orphaned kittens. I give kitty ear scritches many times daily.

If I’ve got a fullish trolley at the supermarket, I will always let the person behind go first if they have appreciably less to buy/have kids in tow etc. I’m never in that much of a hurry.

I’ll give my unexpired public transport ticket away on the way home from work.

I’m always insanely polite to service workers…their job is hard enough without getting a few nice words during a long day.

I’ll get the dustpan and broom out during my lunch-hour and sweep around the entrance to our building (where some extremely inconsiderate smokers lurk and just toss their butts on the ground, despite the fact there is a ‘bin’ less than four or five paces away). :rolleyes:

I always throw money for kid buskers…especially if they are playing a flute or violin. Sounds goddamned awful mostly, but they need the money for lessons. :stuck_out_tongue: And I admire their courage and entrepreneurial spirit of course.

I have a tendency to chat to people with mental health issues on public transport, particularly if they are not appearing to be coping too well. It seems to work well most of the time, keeping them distracted enough so they don’t fritz out too much. The other passengers appreciate it because they tend to freak out more by the presence of a mad-person in their midst. :smiley:

Apart from all of that though, I’m a complete and utter bitch. :slight_smile:

I’d like to say Welcome to the SDMB! I hope you will take the leap to join up. We can always use more people like you 'round here.
Thanks to others for kind words and support. Like was said earlier, it helps to know that “I’m not the only one doing this stuff” though often times it seems it.

I pick up trash when I have see it and a bin in view at the same time.

I try to get served and get out of the way in any place where there’s a line; make the request simple, have money ready, not ask questions I don’t really need answered right then and there, and step smartly away to the side before I fiddle with change etc. On a plane I get to my seat and step into the legroom area immediately if there’s someone behind me, then put stuff in the overhead lockers only when there’s a gap in traffic.

I smile at strangers all the time. And the more on the social outer the stranger seems, the wider I smile. The homeless, the crazy, and people in muslim-style clothing (women in head-scarves or hoods, men in those white kaftanny things) get the biggest, and sometimes a nod. Sometimes I get a “good day, mate” or “good night, mate” as a reward which is nice.

Who was it who said “If you would judge the measure of a man, watch how he treats his subordinates, not his superiors.”? Or something to that effect. Absolutely true. Add waiters and waitresses to that, those people work hard at being pleasant and unobtrusive and getting your order exactly right for next to nothing and live on tips.

Every Friday, I pay the bridge toll of the person behind me. It makes me smile to see them get waved through and the look of surprise on their faces and generally adds to my Friday-happy attitude.

Hmm, let’s see.

I let people merge in front of me, or turn onto the street I’m in. Just one or two cars, there’s a limit to my holiness, you know! :wink:

I also give people change if the cashier says something like “do you have a penny?” Actually I have only successfully done this once, the other few times the person has change.

Ok, so I’m not qualifying for sainthood anytime soon, but this thread is an inspiration.

Oh. I forgot to mention that when we eat out we bus our own table such that we collect the sugar packs, straw wrappers, butter cardboard, stack the plates and silverware and replace any condiments to were they were when we arrived.
Also, when we arrive at a store, we will grab a shopping basket or two in the lot and return them to the store whether we are going to need one or not.

It’s really quite remarkable how far just a smile and a pleasant voice go. Especially towards people in the service industry. They’re treated like crap quite a bit and being friendly and pleasant can really cheer someone up.

I am always polite and considerate to strangers. To those I know, as well - that should go without saying.

I open doors if someone looks like they need a hand, and I always hold the door for the next person behind me.

I sometimes pay tolls for the car behind me.

I let people merge ahead of me in tight traffic, and change lanes when coming up to a merge.

I pick up trash other people can’t be bothered to drop in the can only a few feet away.

I smile and say ‘good morning’ or whatever is applicable to people I come upon in my day.

I always say “please” and “thank you”.

I am teaching my children to be courteous and productive people. My neighbours in the old neighbourhood (we just moved) often commented on how sweet and polite my eldest is. The baby is too young for compliments yet. :slight_smile:

I let people with fewer items ahead of me at the grocery store. I help people with the self-scan machines if they look confused and are looking around for help.

This sounds like bragging. I’m sorry.

These are big ones for me and my mate. Loose carts do damage. They should be collected whenever possible.

And we also bus our own table to an obsessive degree. Scrape, pile, and move items closer to the aisle to prevent too much reaching. Some dinner companions have exchanged glances as though this is bad etiquette but quite frankly I am so grateful that I don’t have a kitchen to clean after a meal I would carry the dishes to the restaurant kitchen and scrape them if it were allowed. Boy do I love waitstaff. They bring me food, they bring me condiments, they refill my drink and clean up after me. I practically kowtow to them.

Askia, I was able to implement one of your inspirations today. A mom with three little ones brought an infant to the doc who needed stitches removed. I read a few pages of a children’s book while in the waiting area to her older toddlers to mask the cries of their little sister. Before reading your post I would have just sat there in sympathetic misery.

Maureen, I don’t have tolls in my usual route- but I left enough change stacked on the self auto wash for the next person to “find”.

congodwarf, I am a grinner at strangers. I so appreciate a return grin. Thank you for practicing that one in the wild as well. :slight_smile:

When I get really good customer service I ask to speak to their supervisor and say how positive my experience was.

People almost always ask to speak to a supervisor only to complain, so doing this is a nice surprise both for the customer service person (or sales clerk, or whatever) and for their supervisor.

First time I did it the managers reaction was “For real??”. He was totally floored and grateful that I took the time out to say something positive. So now I do it when I honestly get truly great service.

It isn’t every day, but is a little thing that makes the world a slightly nicer place for the people on the receiving end.

When I’m shopping, I usually try to find some worker that’s pleasant or helpful, so I can go to the service counter to praise them when I’m leaving the store.
The managers are always amazed, since most people just go there to complain.

It’s funny, but when I come across a worker who’s rude or nasty, I never seem to find the time to stop and complain. :slight_smile:

I received a letter from Geico last week, thanking me for taking the time to speak to a supervisor about the great help I received from one of their representatives.
Takes only another minute or two, and compliments usually go into their personnel file. I remember my mom doing this all the time - she explained that this could be the difference whether or not someone gets a raise at review time.

Thanks for the great thread! :slight_smile: