What song hit you like a thunderbolt when you first heard it

Barracuda by Heart. The first few chords made me think it was a new song by Led Zeppelin.

Dudamel is one of my favoutire conductors.

And here’s my favourite rendition of Bolero:

I could see that. In hindsight, that “galloping” intro with those chords with that atonal feedback and phasing sound was very heavy for a something that was played on mainstream radio stations.

Most of the classical music from the Disney movie Fantasia. Rite of Spring and Night On Bald Mountain come to mind as seeming very cool to my pre-teen self in the 50s.

Just thought of another jazz tune that really got to me. It was Soul Serenade played by King Curtis. I heard it first as a theme song for a late night radio show. I stayed up to hear it for a week, waiting for the DJ to say what it was and he finally did. I went to the record store the next day and ordered it. Still love that sax.

How Soon Is Now?

Honey White

More recently Oh Mama.

Too many to remember, but To Sir With Love by Lulu is at the top of my list. I loved that song so much.

Hallelujah by KD Lang is another one. I bought it the day I first heard it and to this day, I take a ride in my car at least monthly just to sing along at top volume.

Glitter by Pink will always and forever be one of my most loved songs of all time. But that’s true of everything she’s ever done.

A song I’ve always loathed, played in a style I’ve never particularly loved - blew me away to where it’s one of my favorite recordings. I heard it on an episode of Better Call Saul in season 4.
The Gipsy Kings performing A Mi Manera (a.k.a. My Way   ::shudder:: )

Awesome way to wake up - Thank you! Loved how they just kept rolling out the instruments, and all that young talent on display. Good stuff.

DJarimirri by Dr G Yunupingu. The first time I heard it, I was in the kitchen at work and I just stood listening to this magic pouring out of the speakers, utterly transfixed. It’s one of the most remarkable pieces of music I’ve ever heard.

Link won’t work for UK, managed to find this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-i0FQBbO8E

I had a similar reaction to their cover of “Hotel California”. I was thoroughly sick of the Eagles classic when I heard the Gypsy Kings’ version in The Big Lebowski and was blown away.

I was into cheesy pop music until i heard Gimme Shelter. that was the end of that.

This rendition of “Memories”:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB6yjGVuzVo

I was 13 when I first heard “Don’t Come Around Here No More” by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, and that was pretty much what set me on the path from just liking songs to liking MUSIC.

Beautiful!

Re: “Fuckin’ Perfect” absolutely. As a father of 2 girls, I have trouble getting through the song without tearing up.

Wheels by the String-A-Longs, 1961 :wink:

I was reminded of another example yesterday - I was shocked lyrically, not so much musically - by Amy Winehouse: Rehab.

I have never heard anything more painfully honest. It took a few more years for Amy to kill herself, but she surely put the writing on the wall with this.

Sorely missed.

j

Welcome to the Jungle, 1987

I was 10 years old. Up until that point there wasn’t a lot of music in the house growing up. My mother only ever listened to ABBA and my father only liked the Beatles, the Beach Boys, and Fleetwood Mac.

We had just gotten cable. The first channel that came on was MTV, right at the beginning of that video. Mind blown. I had no idea what I was seeing and hearing, but I loved it and my life was changed forever.

I’ll co-sign on Up the Junction, and while while Birdhouse is enchanting, my thunderbolt moments with TMBG came from their first album — just a banquet of smart lyrics and catchy music. I Hope that I Get Old Before I Die.

That’s the thunderbolt formula for me: Smart lyrics and easy melodies. I had an instant obsession with Kid Creole and the Coconuts, largely due to the lyrics, which were super smart (in the fashion of Randy Newman or They Might Be Giants). This was the lead song on the album the sucked me in: It’s Automatic. Sloganeering with a Greek chorus undercutting the singer.

And, ohh yeah, the big hook in Born To Run burrowed into my head the moment I heard it.