What spreadsheets have you created for personal use?

Off the top of my head.

Note: some of these were generated at work, some at home, but they were all for my own use.

1. Reconcile bank account.

2. Given, bearings and distances around a closed traverse, calculates the area within the traverse.

3. Spread sheet for small water district to use for meter readings, and analyse the results.

4. Given, the length, width, and height of a package, calculate the dimensions of the paper to wrap it in.

5. Record worker hours and costs for a small auto shop, and calculate work efficiency.

6. Develop time sheets for workers, and calculate pay, etc. Output from No. 5 feeds
    into this.

7. Calculate weight building footings, and design same.

This is just a small sampling. I really like Excel!

I have a Badger Bow Mass calculator, it may be downloadable on line. You put in the style of bow you are building and it tells you how much physical mass the bow should have when finished. People from all corners of the globe are using it.

Ages ago when Dragon Dice was first starting I designed a spreadsheet to facilitate the game setup. The dice were worth a number of points, depending in their strength, and which scenario you were playing dictated the total points for your army. Your could have a large number of low-point dice, a smaller number of high-point dice, or somewhere in between. The army was then divided into three sub-armies with further restrictions on how many points could be in each sub-army.

The spreadsheet had a separate page for each race with the number of dice I had for that race along with the point value. When building an army, that info would be totaled up so I could easily make changes (I’ll swap out this big 'un for two littles and a medium) and be assured the point totals were maintained, and also that I had enough of the dice in my box to use.

Budget. Looked at and tried a bunch of different pre-built budgeting software but I found all of them lacking in some way. So I turned to Excel and built my own. I have in it every dollar I ever spent for the last 8 years, and projections for at least the next 2. It was fairly complex to build, and I had just finished an Excel class so I had all that info fresh in my head; I’m certain I couldn’t recreate it from scratch today.

Do you give out copies of the spreadsheet?

No one has ever asked before! I built mine specifically for myself, but I suppose it could be repurposed for use by someone else. I can send you a blank one if you want. PM me.

I’m doing a budget spreadsheet in Numbers. Are you able to have a chat about how you did your projections in this thread here, http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=830673?

I have just done a “Cat Fud” spreadsheet. We have long suspected the cats are eating more than their allotted 2 small cans of cat fud each per day. Rather than just counting how many times per day we feed them, I have decided to tackle this with a spreadsheet that has an initial cat fud stocktake, the number of days we expect this to feed them, and a “Cat Starvation Date” (CSD - the day the food should runout). We will do weekly stocktakes to track the progress of the food and calculate their daily intake. The CSD is adjusted automatically.

This thread has inspired me to create two new spreadsheets that I’ve been meaning to make for a while. The first tracks the Hundred Highest New England peaks that I’ve climbed (in 19 years I’ve only managed 33 of them). The second tracks the sections of the Appalachian Trail that I’ve hiked over the years (38.5 miles down, only 2147.4 miles to go).

1. Managing my fantasy baseball roster
  2. Concerts I’ve been to
  3. Civil war travelling log
  4. I had one that someone else created of all the front/back T206 (baseball cigarette cards) combinations but I lost it.

Probably the most unique one I’ve built is the Wheel of Luncheon.

It’s a lookup table with the 33 closest restaurants to where I work, but the front page is a simulated roulette wheel with a big “SPIN” button. You click the button, the wheel spins, and you get a pop-up of the randomly selected restaurant.

We use it when we can’t decide where to go to lunch as a group. I built when I was first learning about macros and visual BASIC.

Ran out of time to edit.

The spinning roulette wheel is just for show, the restaurant is actually selected by a random number generator. That should answer the question as to whether or not I like to “pretty them up”!