What the fuck has happened with Airbnb?

She might be the only lawyer in that law office

Last day of vacay and they have you doing laundry? Though I wonder if guests ever balk at that chore and skip it but leave the beds stripped and sheets folded. Ew. We had a STR where they asked us to strip the beds but leave the sheets in a pile. Save time I guess. The stains on one mattress were gross. But it was a loft where kids usually stayed could’ve been a drink spill, idk. I hope people don’t do the dirty, do they? We always took it outside. Lolol tmi.

As someone who lives next door to an AirBnB, please don’t “take it outside”! :face_with_peeking_eye:

And outdoor cameras everywhere these days. :face_exhaling:

In a bedroom on vacation? Why on earth not?

I have never been on a vacation in a bedroom and not done it. That’s almost the point of traveling to me.

That there is probably the reason why more STR hosts require their guests to strip the sheets and wash them theirselves. Hotels at least you would expect lots of bleach in the wash. But they don’t change your sheets every morning either.

Most still will change the sheets if you ask them to.

Other people sweat on those sheets, too. :wink:

I find that would be an odd request asking for fresh bedsheets before check out when most hotels want you to reuse the towels on your stay and rightly so.

I ask for extra towels all the time. When i go to a dance weekend, i often shower 2 times a day, and the towels don’t dry in between. I want dry towels when i exit the shower.

I don’t think anyone asks for clean sheets at the end of their stay, but I think people who make a mess of their sheets with more nights to go (whether by sex or by spilling their breakfast) expect to be able to get fresh ones at a full-service hotel.

When i go to an actuarial meeting, i usually ask that they not service my room at all. I don’t need clean sheets or towels when I’m staying by myself and sitting in an air conditioned conference room all day. But i always expect that the option is available.

How often do you stay at hotels? I haven’t stayed at many air bnbs, but I’ve stayed at a LOT of hotels and old-fashioned bnbs, at a variety of price points. One of the cheapest places i stayed charged extra for extra towels. But they were available.

Asking for fresh bedsheets before check out? As in the actual day of check out? Yes, that would be odd. But years ago, I remember the sheets and towels were changed daily. Now, when I travel and stay in mid-price hotels, the housekeeper only visits every second or third day, and the bed is made at that time but without changing the sheets. The higher-end hotels had daily maid service and I think the sheets were changed every day.

They often tell you how often the sheets are changed. It’s often every 3 days. I don’t usually stay at the same place longer than that, do i don’t much care. But most hotels will also say that you can request more frequent service.

I don’t know about that- I remember when you got daily housekeeping service , even without asking and you got fresh towels and the bed made automatically. But I don’t know about the sheets being changed- how would I even know whether they were changed every night if there weren’t any spills, or make-up smears etc ?

Actually I don’t know if they changed the sheets. Mostly this was when I was younger.

I did some time as a motel housekeeper in my early 20s. At least at the ones I worked at (same managers), sheets were definitely changed between guests. A guest who stayed multiple days could get clean sheets on request. Last time I stayed in a motel (a few years ago), I stripped off the sheets and had them and the towels ready for the housekeeping staff to scoop up when we checked out. Housekeeping service was not daily, but we did have pets in the room with us, so they apparently felt the need for extra caution about potential escapes (pet-friendly motel, they knew the cats were there).

In some of these hotels, the blankets and bedspreads are white cotton as are the sheets, so I assume everything is washed between guests.

Yes, it may be that those of us who are older remember the days of daily linen laundering, but it’s possible it’s been so long since that was a ‘thing’ younger people never knew.

I never let housekeeping in my room during my stay going back to the early 90s if I am there for less than a full week. Do Not Disturb sign on the door the whole time. I am fine with one set of sheets and towels for a week.

There was one hotel where I would stay for six weeks. I’d get a room with two beds and it was just me. I’d use one bed for a week and switch beds for the next week. Similar with the towels. I’d have them redo everything at the two week mark. Again after another two weeks. Two weeks later I’d leave.

I rarely use AirBnBs. The last one was a couple years ago. They asked me to start a wash load with the towels and sheets before I left. They would run the dryer later. Same with starting the dishwasher but I didn’t use their dishes. Put the trash bag outside the door. And done.

I definitely remember this, to the point where I got annoyed because I’d leave my hotel during the day and come back with everything on the bed replaced and tucked back in. Which sounds nice, but they would tuck the shit out of the sheets to the point where I really had to pry those sheets hard to get them loose enough to be comfortable to sleep under, and at that point I was exhausted from whatever I had been doing earlier in the day and hated it.

Also, I always bring my own pillow when I travel (because I generally don’t like hotel pillows) and after they’d remake the bed, they’d not put my pillow back on and I’d have to spend a little time looking for it. It got to the point where I preferred to put the “do not disturb/no cleaning” sign on the door to avoid the hassle. I don’t really need fresh sheets or towels every damn day thanks.

This was probably as far back as the 90s though. These days if I’m staying at a hotel for a weekend they won’t come at all (and I’m totally cool with that).

I don’t change my sheets or towel every day at home, and don’t need that at a hotel, either.