What to do with an iPAD?

Far out, man.

I thought the Kindle was the one that showed you ads unless you paid to get the ads off?

Apparently the secret is to free your mind of desire. That is, to have absolutely no need for an iPad and apparently only the haziest idea of what they’re used for.

I guess so. They gave us a bunch of them for work (children’s department of the public library) and admin keeps hassling us to use them, but I have never felt the need for one at the service desk and I have no idea what to do with it. I am never more than a few feet from a real computer. I am beginning to hate the damn things.

The only ads you might see on an iPad would be in apps that you download for free. You won’t see them in the paid apps. And the ones you’ll see in Safari are generally on the websites themselves. But that’s true on any device, iPad or PC, unless you use some kind of ad blocker.

Viewing maps on the iPad is great, too. No need to use the laptop for that anymore.

Also, since I got this “case”, or holder - Speck Products’ HandyShell - I can carry it securely in one hand, and viewing the iPad while walking / standing / lying in bed / driving is so much easier.

It’s an ultraportable, superlong battery lifed, dumbed down laptop. It’s pretty awesome as an internet machine that can also help with your day-to-day frivolities (news, banking, simple gaming, chart your calories/gas mileage/etc) and as long as you’re not writing term papers or using programs that require legit computing power you’ll like using it a lot more than your laptop.

However if you use your laptop for more substantial means, or involve heavy typing you’ll find it no more useful than your kindle and/or phone.

If you want to know what to do with an iPad then get your pilot’s license. You’ll want to marry the damn thing after that.

See? They make you *pay *to not see ads! It’s extortion!

Funny, but backwards. They subsidize the pricing so that the bargain price is justification for pushing ads to a unit you own.

As a musician, you definitely want ForScore. It’s awesome to keep all your sheet music organized and accessible. There are also many Real Book apps out there, but I can’t speak for the quality of them.

I don’t quite see what you mean by “firing up” iTunes on your iPad - it’s there, all you have to do is transfer your music (or parts of it) from your PC.

Have fun with it!

There are rumors that Microsoft will release a version of Office for the iPad in the Spring.

Thanks, Dewey! I’ll keep an eye out for that.

I’ll check that out; thanks!

I already use (and love) iReal b. :slight_smile: It was great even just on my Android phone, but it’s even more robust on iOS.

That’s what I meant: the whole transfer/download part. I might not bother using it, since I already have an iPod.

I’ve heard they make good cutting boards?