What type of mattress do you own

I endorse the natural latex slab. I compared between it and memory foam, never considered the sleep # woo woo.

We got a Serta high end Innerspring with the pillow top recently, California King. Despite my best efforts to buy the best, most comfortable mattress on the market I’m disappointed in it already. One, it must be rotated frequently or I feel I’m in a bit of a trough. Also, the pillow top captures and holds too much heat. Admittedly, I’m a ‘hot’ sleeper but with this I sweat even when the AC is on 76 and I’m only using a sheet.

To answer my own question, we looked at higher end innerspring mattresses, and tried out memory foam, but when we found a latex bed we immediately fell in love with it. The problem with memory foam for me is that I always start sleeping on my left side and end up sleeping on my right, and I’m not sure it would adjust.
We’ve only slept on the new bed for two nights, but I don’t seem to be waking up as often, and it is very comfortable.
Interesting about sleep number beds, though.
What is frightening is that the bed costs about as much as a car I used to own. But it gets better mileage.

I put springs, but my mattress also has a memory foam pillow top.

I have also grown to hate my Sleep number bed.
If I have the number as low as I like it, my butt hits the baseboard, plus, my wife will inevitably roll into me. Plus, the middle of the bed is supported by a tiny foam strip, so if we want to cuddle, we have no support. Likewise sitting in the middle of the bed to watch TV. The foam side walls are bulging out, and it slides around on top of the lower box.

The only good thing about it is it disassembles for easy moving.

Sleep Number. Expensive, but worth it.

Latex. Love it. We’ve got an extra firm mattress with a thin top layer of soft latex. It gives you that “sink-into-it” softness and support.

It doesn’t have the “can’t turn over because you’ve sunk into a trough” issue that the memory foam mattresses have. And it’s cooler than the memory foam, which is important when you’re a heat pump.

We could have had two individual softness levels if we’d wanted, they would have put that together for us as well.

I tested a Sleep Number mattress when I was out looking. I cranked it all the way up and all the way down, couldn’t really tell any difference between the settings.

Old fashioned water bed, with a waveless mattress.

It’s still the best sleep for both of us, and when we have to suffer while visiting SCal and the grandbaby, it makes coming home all the sweeter.
~VOW

I got me one of these, and it’s terrific!

http://www.aireloom.com/handCrafted.html

I have a cheap mattress and boxspring set, Therapedic, I think. Extra-firm, purchased in 1993. I added a 4-inch foam topper last year and like that, still happy with the thing. It won’t die, still looks brand new. I like the topper a lot, will probably go with a foam mattress if I ever get around to investing in a bed again.

Totally concur. Our California King size latex mattress was a lot more costly than I was initially comfortable with. We ordered it through Costco online (free shipping and set up) and my wife has been sleeping on it for about nine months, and together we have been sleeping on it for three and a half months (back from deployment.) We are both pleased with it.

The memory foam mattresses create that weird “gotta roll up and out of the trench you melted into” feeling that drove me crazy. I agree, they are also cooler than memory foam.

Sex on a latex mattress is awesome. They provide great support that is different than an innerspring mattress. We’ve gone from one room to the other to test the differences between them, and the latex is the one we keep coming to.

I have the IKEA Sultan Hjartdal mattress - an innerspring with two inches of memory foam on top - awesome! You get the softness and comfort of the foam coupled with the firmness of the springs.

… no options for people who own/use more than one bed? :stuck_out_tongue:
The bed I normally use has a foam mattress from IKEA. The futon is, well, a futon. The guest bed has springs. The bed I’m using in Madrid is ancient foam, it should have been changed years ago but I don’t think you can even find that size any more.

Funny this thread should suddenly appear. Hubby and I are in the midst of a mattress dilemma, as we’re total opposites on what we both think constitutes “comfortable”. We can’t seem to meet in the middle, and it’s driving us nuts.

He needs firm-to-the-point-of-concrete-slab. I need a little give. We’ve gone through a futon and two mattresses in the past 6-7 years and we still haven’t found anything to our mutual liking :frowning:

kiz, in Spain it’s relatively normal (an informal poll taken around the time of my brother’s wedding came out to “about 50:50”) for married couples to have two beds rather than one. It solves issues of mattress firmness and blanket-hogging and none of the two-beds couples consulted found that it impeded intimacy. None of the single-bed couples consulted had ever tried a two-beds arrangement; some of the two-bedders had been single-bedders at the start of their marriage and moved to two-bed.

It may be worth considering.

Are you letting it inflate/deflate while you’re on the mattress? Cuz I think that’s the way you need to do it.

The other person can get his own login. :smiley:

I wonder however if dual bed couples have the same type of mattress.

Queen-size spring/memory foam combination mattress from the Walmart website. It was only $300, and I count it as the third-best money spent in my entire adult life (the first being my computer, the second my car).

All this talk about memory foam… does no-one have polyether foam matresses anymore?

I currently have spring - but we definitely need a new bed. Its always a “3 dog night” in our house, and the queen is so crowded. I want a California King - would help my husband since he’s so tall, right now his feet dangle over the edge, or crowd my feet. And based on what I’m reading here, I’m going to look into the latex. Prefer cooler over hot (I’ve got 3 little furnaces and 1 big furnace I can cuddle against if I’m too cool), and its already hard enough moving around with all the different bodies in the way, I have no interest in trying to struggle out of a trench too.