What unusual thing do you consider "art"?

as undesirable and harmful it can often be metallic corrosion looks interesting.

I’d go at that photo shoot with you altho we might both get killed. :slight_smile:

Me? I’m surrounded by art of all kinds. My most beloved objets d’art? A half of an old rusty gear and a banal rock with a few holes worn through it–like big wormholes clear through.

Someone threw out some antique shelves. There are slivers of wood with a marvelous patina. I thought some kind of collage but a neighbor called it as pressboard. I still want them. I’ll try to take a pic. Only think holding me back is that they’re screwed in and stuff and I currently am in a bad back pain situation.

I’m also intrigued because a day or two prior somebody put out a tin metal tub that was decoupaged and likely from the same lot.

I’m going out right now that I’ve been reminded.

Light a candle for me. :wink:

In the past, it was not uncommon to see a single shoe lying by the side of a road. (For some reason, it’s rare now.) Seeing one of these shoes always made me ponder life, the universe, and everything. The experience filled me with wonder and a sense of the complexity of life. For all I know, some of these shoes were intentionally planted just to make people think. It felt like art.

At the highest levels, computer programing is definitely art. There are many, many ways to program a computer to accomplish a task. Some are breathtakingly in their elegance, some are butt-ugly. It is a pity the artfulness of a beautifully written program is (a) only seen by a very few, and (b) fully appreciated by even fewer.

I’ve always found computer circuit boards quite beautiful.

That is a very good definition. It annoys the hell out of me when some artist wants to carve out a niche for himself by saying that his kind of art is real art and everything else is just…applied art, artisanal, design. That always gets a “So?” and an :rolleyes: from me.

It may be true that some artists discover new forms. Sometimes just because such a new form is their handwriting, their own stule. Some artists discover new forms by working hard and searching and experimenting. And that is worthwhile, but even so such art is more interesting to fellow artists who can them find applications for the new forms for the public.

When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you.
― Pablo Picasso
Oh, and for me, it is dresses. And plants, photographed here like art deco motifs by Blossfeldt.

Newspaper layouts.

For found art, see Kunstformen der Natur by Ernst Haeckel. Multifarious biological forms as art.

Oh, yes … and motorcycles.

And if I could, I would have to have two 1973 Triumph X-75 Hurricanes - one for ridin’ and one on display in my living room.

The Indigo Girls’ song “Three Hits” is about the suicide of Southern poet Frank Stanford. Amy Ray, as a comparable Southern artist, was interested in seeing from Frank’s point of view.

Frank shot himself in the heart, three times. Amy took this as an artistic act, a poetry of the deed, so to speak. One can easily imagine what determination and nerve it would take to do it three times in a row. His reason for doing it must have been something artistic that, for Amy, “sings in me.”

*three hits to the heart, son
and it’s poetry in motion

one can send you down the river
three’s a strange way to be delivered

well the first two
might release you
but the last one
sings in me, son

three hits to the heart, son
and it’s poetry in motion*

Typically of Indigo Girls lyrics, this song includes Biblical vocabulary (“be delivered”) turned to secular themes, especially as a spiritual overtone to mundane secular themes. “Send you down the river” reminds me of Boromir’s funeral where they put him on a boat and let it go down the River Anduin to the Sea.

Emily Saliers has written Indigo Girls songs inspired by Virginia Woolf and “why you layered your pockets with stones…”

Great link, cool fashions. But isn’t dress designing already considered a form of art? …or is it…?

For a time (when I was single) I had 2 RZ350’s and a GB500 in my living room.

I’ve got a garage now.