What US location has weather like England?

I’d go Seattle or Maine.

I just want to reveal a little secret. In Seattle, we just make up those rain numbers to keep you folks out. Half the time, we get two “rainy days” in a row because there’s an hour of drizzle from 11:30 pm to 12:30 am - just enough that I didn’t have to water my lawn at all last year. Most of us don’t own umbrellas.

Now… the clouds are for real. If you can’t deal with long stretches of clouds in the winter, Seattle is not for you. But you might like Sequim which is not far away.

The thing about the Pacific Northwest is that rainfall varies tremendously over just a few miles because of the topography. If Seattle with about 37 inches of rain a year is a little too wet, Port Townshend, only 40 miles away, may be too dry at 19 inches. Surely you can find a happy medium somewhere around there.

NOAA has its US Climate Atlas online for free. You can poke around to find the perfect spot. You won’t find anything as mild as the UK except near the Pacific.

That’s odd. I have long heard that it only rains twice a week in Seattle.

Once for three days and once for four.

Another vote for Pacific Northwest-they are both part of the Marine West Coast climate zones.

Considering 8" of snow shut down parts of the UK this winter, I doubt they have weather very much like we do here in New England.

Wikipedia (Oceanic climate - Wikipedia) says that England has a mild ‘oceanic climate’ (or ‘marine west coast climate’), characterized by a narrow range of temperatures, and precipitation which is consistent, reliable and significant, but not excessive, all year round.

It says the places in America that also have mild oceanic climates are:

1. Washington
  2. The western parts of Oregon
  3. The mildest coastal areas of the Alaskan panhandle.
  4. Extreme northwest California

If you look at their map it also seems to highlight some small areas in the eastern US, like small parts of West Virginia, Connecticut and Kentucky as having the mild marine climate, as well as western parts of British Columbia in Canada. The Scottish highlands have a sub-polar oceanic climate, similar to the southern islands of Alaska.

I haven’t spent a great deal of time in any of these places so I can’t comment on how similar they are to here (I live near London), but judging by the European places they list as having the same type of climate I’d guess all those American places are similar to England but probably don’t have quite the level of closeness you’re looking for…

Wikipedia has some climate charts. A quick glance at the UK and Juneau, AK shows you might not notice the difference if you didn’t look at the numbers. Very quick scan I gather that the UK might be a bit warmer in the winter and Juneau might have a bit more rain in the summer.

Juneau has much colder and snowier winters than the UK. The average daily low in January in Juneau is 15F/-9C vs. 36F/+2C in London. Juneau also gets about 100" of snow a year. Temperatures in summer are similar, but Juneau is cloudier (70% of the time in July vs. 29%).

:dubious: Yeah, well, it’s supposed to be 109 Thursday. How’bout I come visit you?

I’m sure chowder could use a visit; I hear it gets gnonely around his house.

Gotta love these blanket comments about the Pacific Northwest and rain. Have you really been here or taken the time to research the details? Half the states of Oregon and Washington are high altitude deserts - hot to very hot and dry in summer and cold and very cold and “dry” in winter. Of course, we have temperate rainforests, rain shadows, and everything in between.

And don’t listen to the TV weather chinwags. They can’t forecast beyond the next newscast; we’ve been in a drought for seven or eight years now.

I think when people say Pacific Northwest they generally mean the coastal bit, not the entire states of Washington and Oregon. Besides, however you define the region, it correct to say that it is one of the parts of the US in which an English-like climate occurs. That is not a blanket statement. It does not exclude the possibility that there are other climates in the PNW.