What was in the suitcase in "Pulp Fiction"?

My initial interpretation was that it was, on a literal level in the movie, something like “whatever your heart desires.” Whoever looks into the briefcase sees whatever they most want to see; it’s a wish fulfilled. On a non-literal level, it’s an homage to the mysteriously glowing contents of the box in Robert Aldrich’s Kiss Me Deadly (an alltime favorite film of mine too).

Tarantino’s later quote, “whatever you want it to be,” I took as confirmation of my initial theory.

Overall, of course, it’s a Maguffin.

I like this one best!

See, whoever sees it knows exactly what it is immediately. And it’s glowing! My “Crown of Thorns” idea doesn’t fit the glowing. It’s still fun to speculate.

But that doesn’t make sense because Mr. Pink had the diamonds at the end and he got captured or killed during the last scene(it’s hard to tell because all you have is distant shouting to go by). Unless there was some bizarre switch-aroo where Mr. Pink didn’t bring the real diamonds that has no basis in the script and would have gotten him killed if they had gotten out of there alive.

Not really. They were in a dangerous business and Vincent didn’t strike me as being particulary bright. And there’s nothing bizarre about staking out someone’s apartment, going to the bathroom and leaving your gun on the counter outside so the guy you’re waiting for can walk in and blow you away with it when you leave the bathroom. Just incredibly stupid.

in an interveiw with Travolta he said that QT told him to imagine it was the greatest thing he could think of (or something close to that) and Travolta imagined a stack of movies he’d be making as good as the one being made right then.

About 7 or 8 years ago I was bartending a celebrity party and was in something of a brash mood. Ving Rhames was there, didn’t seem to into it, and when he walked by my bar I caught his attention and shouted out, “Hey, Ving. What’s up with the bandaid?”

With little else to do, he started up a chat and told me it would all come out in Pulp Fiction 2. :eek: Then he went on to say it was a matter of, “whether they could get the money together [to make the movie].”

He was completely serious. Scout’s honor.

HA! Then he went on to make “Broken Arrow”, “Face/Off”, “Battlefield Earth”, “Lucky Numbers”, & “Ladder 49”.