What was Lucas thinking with the Porkins character in Star Wars?

Because it reflects on the character. When an overweight guy named Porkins goes into combat without attaching his strap, I’m thinking “what’s that fat, lazy slob doing going on a combat mission.” The other pilots are your typical in shape fly boys and they all attached their strap. So here is the one overweight guy. Not only is he overweight, but his name is Porkins. And not only is he overweight and named Porkins, he’s the only one who didn’t attach his strap. Stuff like that doesn’t happen in the movies by accident.

This is the image I have of Porkins: http://www.goingfaster.com/angst/kfcporkins.jpg

Sort of like Chunk from The Goonies…

I’m surprised Lucas didn’t have Porkins drop a candy bar in the cockpit during the trench run.

I read an interview with William Hootkins (the actor who played Porkins), some years ago (he died in 2005), in which he was recalling filming “Star Wars”. One specific thing I recall is that the orange flight suit costumes that they had were “one size fits all.” Not surprisingly, they didn’t fit him; the costumer split Hootkins’ flight suit up the back so that he could fit in it.

As a result, he had to be certain not to slump too far forward when he was blowing up, so that the camera didn’t catch the T-shirt he was wearing under the orange suit.

Nope, the extended universe even expands on it. He is Jek Porkins.

See, I thought “boy I hope they blow up the Death Star.”

Clearly you’re not a real fan.

Best laugh of my day. Thanks, Larry.

Oddly enough, this isn’t terribly implausible. Apparently they encountered turbulence when going through atmosphere, and since The Force alone knows what you might encounter in any given battle, it’s not a bad idea to protect your noggin from getting slammed around. Even just exhaust fumes from a cap ship that size could do. Assuming they have exhaust fumes.

Second, apprently there were explosions in space which could knock ships about. We know at least some cap ship guns fired extremely destructive shells (turbolaser or not), and while the shockwave would be small (limited to the immediate matter of the shell) a helment could keep you from breaking your skull open. After all, if you lost consciousness you are poretty much dead, so most competent militaries will enforce that kind of uniform.

Also, other sources make it clear that fighters could be non-fatally damaged. Some pilots wore spacesuits they could eject in for hopeful rescue.

As do salmonella-laced clams.

All these years, I thought it was “Forkins”.

"Stay on target…

STAY ON TARGET…"

Lole. Porkins is one of the all-time best “throwaway” characters of film.

“Cover Me, Porkins: A Life In Film”. I would have bought it if he’d written it.

I think Lucas cast him in Raiders to make up for the rather indelicate Porkins thing.

The character of Jek Porkins was written and named before being cast, I know that much. I read an interview with the actor in Insider magazine.

That wasn’t Porkins. Biggs had gotten Porkins killed minutes before that. “Stay on Target” was Gold 5. I’m sure he’s got a name and rich and extensive [del]fanwank[/del] backstory, but I don’t have the energy to search for it. He’s a dick anyway - he tells Gold Leader to stay on target, but when Gold Leader gets killed, he bugs out of the trench instead of trying to complete the mission.

He’s not carrying torpedos, and the shaft is ray shielded.

Here it is. Not quite “rich and extensive”, but it’s there.

It’s not like he was going to make it to the objective anyway, with two-thirds of his shield trio dead and Darth fucking Vader sitting on his tail.

Fat guy in a little coat…
Fat guy in a little coat…

Would Porkins (i’m still laughing at that 32 years later) made really made weight in anyone’s military? Nah.

Does Porkins look like the demographic of Star Wars fans? ummmm…yup.

I’m thinking it was the first in a series of bunghole-smooching moves by the whoremaster Lucas to attract various audiences to this movie.

Apparently enough to keep this thread going…:smiley:

Classy.

I love you.