What Was So Evil About Wesley Crusher?

The reason nobody likd Wesley Crusher is because, frankly, the character sucked. You’d hate ANY character that was so joltingly inconsistent with the show.

Generally speaking, the characters on STTNG were pretty well developed; for the most part they were consistently done. There were some horrible errors - Picard turning down the chance to wipe out the Borg being Primo Example Numero Uno - but, you could believe them.

You couldn’t believe Wesley; he was impossible to buy. Being The Great Boy Genius was bad enough - it’s a terrible cliche - but his forced insertion into the crew smacked of a lack of imagination. “We need a kid. Uh, let’s put him on the bridge.” It defies the suspension of disbelief, for one thing - it’s inconceivable that a huge military fleet would have a kid at the helm of the flagship. For one thing, can you imagine you the OTHER junior officers on board would freak out? They’d be in Riker’s face 24 hours a day: “I’ve been in Starfleet for 15 years and I’ve been slaving away on this tub for five years and I was first in my class at the Academy and I work like a dog and I was next in line to be first helmsman and that brat’s running the ship AHHHHHHHH!” No friggin’ way.

I think Wil Wheaton’s a good actor, and it’s a shame they didn’t do more with Wesley. Had they made him more of an outsider, more of a thorn in Beverley’s side, less of a genius, and worked on his relationship with his mother and with Picard, I think we’d be far more positive towards the character. Instead, he was just the crew member who happened to be a kid - he didn’t add much to the show’s dynamic. A far better choice would have been to make him outside the crew, a kid with his own problems. The character of Alexander, Worf’s kid, was far better done; he WAS a problem for his dad, and the relationship between Worf and Alexander helped flesh those characters out far more than the relationship between Wesley and Beverley (and Wesley and Picard, his adopted father figure.) It’s telling that the only time I ever really liked watching the Wesley character was when he was interacting with Picard on a personal level.

The other problem with Wesley - well, really, it was the same problem - was Beverley. You never seem to hear anyone saying it, but I thought she was a terrible, terrible character, a sort of Saint Beverley of Sick Bay thing. She was the Gaia Mother of the ship 19 episodes out of 20; most of the time she was the perfect mother and the galaxy’s most caring and perfect healer. I didn’t buy her at all, and that contributed to the weakness of Wesley’s character.

I always bought the idea of having families on the ship. I think it could be reasonably hypothesized that given the nature of the duties asked of Starfleet personnel, and knowing what I know about military service and the attributes of good soldiers, that the increase in morale and productivity would more than compensate for the added risk. I think it’s quite reasonable to surmise that values in the 24th century would be sufficiently different that they’d take this risk. And in MOST cases the family angle was really interesting: Worf and Alexander, or O’Brien and Keiko. They just blew their chance with Wesley by making him a kid genius. The whole “Ender’s Game Ultra Genius Kid” thing is too hackneyed to work on a weekly show.

I loved Wesley Crusher. I thought he was the best character on the show, not to mention simply dreamy. Of course, when I was first watching TNG I was a pubescent girl and had nursed a crush on Wil Wheaton since I first saw Stand By Me. Now…I see what y’all mean about his character being mostly an inane device.

But I will say this: if it hadn’t been for Wesley Crusher, I might never have watched the show because I absolutely hated the original series (mostly because my dad would watch Star Trek whenever it was on, and I grew to loathe it from the repetition). TNG was the first show my dad and I could agree on. I learned to love sci-fi of all stripes all because of cow-eyed little Wil Wheaton.

Make it a four-legged robot with fur, and I’ll buy it.

What I’ve never figured out is why Wesley, the super-genius with the one-of-a-kind great work study program took so damned long to get into starfleet academy. He’s good enough to act as a starfleet officer, on the freaking bridge, with the lives of all these crew members and dependant families in his hands, but he’s not good enough to be admitted to the academy where they train people to take on these tasks?

But oh no, they can’t write him out, so they have so many seasons annual excuses about why he can’t go this year.

I Hated the WC character because his presence and the unnatural attention paid to him by the captain disturbed me. I didn’t want to be accidentally watching when WC was made Picard’s ‘cabin boy’, bent over a warp coil or a replicator…

Would you settle for an anthopomorphic space monkey?

I think one of the main reasons Wesley Crusher was detested was because he was a “perfect teenager boy role-model” in the view of the adults.
It’s like your parents telling you “You should be more like Wesley, he’s smart and always does the right thing, even if everyone else can’t see it at the time”.
I can’t think of anything that would annoy any teenager more than that, and to have it on a T.V. show that you enjoy is even worse.

Depends. Do we get to spank it?

I hate him because he was on Star Trek: the Next Generation.

I was totally against cancelling the original series, and my fondest wish was that once Shatner and Nimoy got the movie bug out of their systems, the Kirk/Spock Enterprise would sail the space lanes again. Making Star Trek into a franchise of spinoff series stands out among the most reprehensible examples of betrayal on the popular culture landscape of the twentieth century.

Now Bones McCoy and Mr. Scott are dead, and we really CAN’T go back to the place we were, and should never have left.

The entire poker crew was wonky.
There was a warrior five times larger than you who wouldn’t hesitate to kill you twice if you pissed him off.
There was an android who could calculate everything instantly, catalog every reaction for future comparisons, and never ever make a mistake.
There was a guy with a device over his eyes which allowed him to see what cards you were holding!
And, of course, a guy from Alaska. Naturally he won all the time because he had a secret weapon: his poker beard.

Wesley Criusher’s existence makes the end of Star Trek II:TWOK look even better by contrast. As Kirk and Khan sneak bindly around the nebula, using their ships like submarines, Spock points out that while Khan is intelligent, his inexperience is leading him to make major mistakes, allowing the much-more-experienced Kirk to kick his genetically-engineered ass.

Compare this to Wesley, with whom it is implied that intelligence alone is enough to make him an effective Starfleet officer. This kid has no formal training or experience and they’re letting him steer the ship? Bullshit.

I don’t mind a suspension of disbelief, but I wish TV writers wouldn’t assume I’m some kind of idiot.

I never hated Wesley, but like everyone has sais, the whole Boy Genius thing is an unforgivable cliche. If Roddenberry hadn’t gotten rid of money, the hacks that wrote for him probably would have had the crew finding some lost treasure to save the orphanage :rolleyes:

He made extra money by growing kittens in bottles…

Note this apochryphal (or, at least, wildly innaccurate) quote from The Great Bird of the Galaxy himself, Gene Roddenberry:

“Wuss-ley Crusher? I hate that little pecker character! The only reason I wrote him in in the first place was because that fucklipped smeghead Wil Wheaton claimed he was my love child with that Janice Rand bitch, whoever the hell she was in real life, I don’t give a damn, really, and that he DNA evidence to back it up. Well, I slept with all of the female characters of the old show, and most of the males, to, so I figgerred I would put him in for a bit part. Then, that cock tease fag-boy toy Berman wrote all sorts of shows about him. JESUS! Well, we finally got the real deal about the DNA (he’s Shatner’s, the pig!) and I had him written out. Unfortunately, I died, and never got to see it. The reception up here in the afterlife sucks…”

Damn it! I can’t find the site I pulled that from… shit, shit, shit…

Basically, Wesley was pandering to the perceived audience. Wish fulfillment for all the teen-aged geeks in the audience. Not to mention the kid who saves the day all the time is just a hideous cliche in fiction.

And he looked more than usually retarded in the Star Trek TNG leotards.

He also drove an SUV, and if I’m not mistaken, did some telemarketing on the side.

I’m glad I’m not the only one that bothered. Picard was so prone to mass genocide in general, and then this one counter-example makes the whole character seem inconsistent. :rolleyes:

chm: I don’t think Wesley was ever turned down at the Academy, but I could be wrong.

He was.

“Coming Of Age”

I stand corrected. That looks like a pretty unremarkable episode (even if it was nominated for Emmy(s)!), so I guess I’m not surprised that I don’t recognize the plot at all.

I think you nailed it. That’s how I always felt about it anyway.