What were the GOOD Kevin Costner films?

…and Open Range.

Heh. I opened this thread absolutely certain that someone was gonna make that crack.

I’d pretty much agree with watsonwil’s list, except that I’d move Tin Cup up to ‘very good’, I’ve never seen Robin Hood, so can’t comment, and I’d replace The Bodyguard with A Perfect World.

And along with some others, I kinda liked The Postman, deeply flawed as it is. Waterworld suxs like a Hoover, though, IMO.

I was gonna nominate An Officer and A Gentleman :smack:

I loved Silverado and have watched it many times. I think Dances with Wolves is a modern day classic. I think I enjoy most of the stuff he’s been in to one degree or another and have never understood the flack he takes much of the time. Aside from the acting part, he seems to be a genuinely likeable guy. In recent OP’s concerning the likes of Tom Cruise I appreciate this quality even more.
He does seem to like to show his butt in many of his flicks. Good for the ladies I suppose.

I really liked the baseball portion of the film. Costner LOVES baseball and made HALF of an enjoyable movie.

But anytime Kelly Preston is on screen (she may be the worst actress outside that Russian chick from Mission: Impossible part one), the film falls into dreckery.

I seem to remember reading an article in some magazine (sorry, no cite, it was years ago) about how KC was called into the director’s office and told that his part in The Big Chill had ended up on the cutting room floor. According to the article, he took the news so graciously that Kasdan created (or perhaps reserved) a role for him in his next flick–which was Silverado.

That movie is full of corny lines and cliches–and I just love it! When my hubby and I were dating (oh, wow, could it really have been 20 years ago?), we went to see it twice!

For the record, I wasn’t slamming Costner or “No Way Out” in that other thread. I just found a major plot point nonessential and that’s what I was questioning.

I liked Open Range, Bull Durham and Tin Cup, and No Way out.

I also liked Bull Durham and love Silverado. Tin Cup was fine for 3/4 of the thing, then they didn’t know how to end it and it cratered.

–Cliffy

Dances With Wolves was a goodie (check username-duh!) and another vote for Perfect World. The only part about Postman that annoyed was him finding an old Zippo, flicking it and it lights. Not. In. Reality. :dubious: Any present or former smoker who used a Zippo watched that scene and said, “Huh?”

My biggest beef with The Postman is that, as I understand it, the governemtn was overthrown by some militia group lef by a farmer who wrote some book full of ideas they all loved. I also got the imperssion that this happened less than twenty yeasr before when it takes palce, yet apparantly, a good portion of Americans forgot how to read, forgot what mail is, and no place ANYWHERE has any semblance of real society. Look, I don’t see any way a militia group could overthrow the US government. From how the movie is presented, it makes it clear that a minority of people supported this farmer (that group Costner was a slave for liked him, but only the leaders, really. That town he went to seemmed to like the old USA.) Where was the army and national guard to stop this overthrow? Sorry, I just don’t buy that it could happen like that, nd that in such a short time, seemingily everyone forgot everything.

I read the book The Postman before I saw the movie, and it made a lot more sense to me. I am a huge fan of Post-Apocalyptic fiction (books and movies), and I was a little disappointed in the movie version. Costner was okay in it, though. And I didn’t hate Waterworld, either.

bouv, if I recall correctly, it wasn’t that quickly. The crux of the biscuit was the isolation of each little pocket of civilization, which The Postman helps to alleviate, thereby setting the stage for a return to a larger civilization, rather than small enclaves, each led by their own particular chief who may or may not be a good leader.

As far as I’m concerned, Bull Durham and Dances With Wolves] are two of the best movies ever made. My husband and I watch Bull Durham about once a year.

I don’t know how it is in the book the movie is based on but I seem to recall talking to someone who read it and they explained it as the American Civil War replayed again with much more devastation… Not that that solves all the problems you listed but…

What basically happened in the book is that WWIII broke out between the US and China, with nukes, bioweapons, etc. smashing the major cities and infrastructure, then after that was over (I don’t remember who, if anyone, won that war, not that it mattered, since Texas apparantly got turned into a glow-in-dark glass factory :frowning: ) a civl war broke out between what was left of the US gov’t, in which the Postman fought in some National Guard unit (he had a name in the book, but one thing I like more about the movie is his not having a name) and then he eventually found himself wandering around Oregon with a geiger counter, a donkey, and a revolver with only 3 bullets. There’s also talk of genetically-enhanced super-soldiers (That’s who the bad guys are lead by, and some good guy ones surface towards the end)

The movie basically left out the backstory which gave the plot some context, and then hit a highlight reel of most of the books highpoints, (though it left out some major points in the book, some good, many that just seemed kinda goofy even when I was in the 8th grade).

Still, my absolute favorite scene in the entire movie is Kevin Costner, riding a horse, Colt .45 in his hand unloading on the baddies. Just a cool image, specially with the anachronism of a semiautomatic weapon and a horse.

Oh, and as for him not using an English accent in Robin Hood… apparantly he tried, and it was universally agreed that he should stop trying. :smiley:

Dang copywrighted material…

…otherwise I’d post the Far Side cartoon of DLDWWS, the Didn’t Like Dances With Wolves Society. Basically just three snarky losers in a big auditorium griping about the movie.

Fandango :stuck_out_tongue: ;j :stuck_out_tongue:

I am so ashamed to admit this, but I liked 3,000 Miles from Graceland.

However.

Another vote for Silverado and for Field of Dreams. I’ve not seen most of the others, and thought the best thing about The Postman was Tom Petty’s sudden appearance, even if his acting was terrible. :wink:

Drat! You beat me to it.

IMDB says the year is 2013, movie was made in 97. That’s 16 years. I guess it might be possible that maybe just that small area is devasted that badly, but it seems odd that an area would remain isolated if it was the only area isolated.

Well, also keep in mind, the movie’s based on a book written in the mid 80’s.

A Perfect World and Field of Dreams are two of my favorite movies, period. Dances with Wolves is also very underrated. I know it won a ton of Oscars, but lots of people raised a big stink when it beat Goodfellas (which I consider an inferior film) for the awards.