What were those terrible tissue paper copiers called in the 1970's?

Spirit duplicators (ditto machines) and mimeographs are two different things. It’s ditto machines that had the purple ink and strong smell.

I remember that one of my teachers used to take his dittos and use some kind of process to “burn” the writing onto a transparency sheet, which he would then use on the overhead projector. I never know what that burning process was.

Heh heh; reminds me of when I went out with a teacher in the 70’s; after a party she threw up over her banda copies- purple vomit everywhere…

ISTM that a lot of science fiction from that era featured that flimsy thermal paper --lots of information circulating on fax-type machines and printed out on little slips that were often actually called “flimsies” or something similar.

And I thoughti made up the word “flimsies” just for my post above.

::sound of deflating ego::

Heh. This would have been funny coming from Hari Seldon.

That would be a 3M Transparency Maker. Oddly enough, those dinosaurs are still seeing regular use at tattoo shops.

I used to work at the school’s AV department, and I probably made a couple thousand “overheads” on one of those machines. AFAIK, the process steals a bit of toner from the original - just a guess there, but I do recall there was a lot of heat involved and no ink or toner for the machine itself. I also recall that the process involved so much heat that the machine coud self-destruct if it jammed - there was a sign on the thing that if it jammed, the user was to immediately pull the plug and open the lid.

A sci-fi convention that I worked at back in the early nineties used a Gestetner. I remember thinking they were the evolutionary missing link between the mimeograph and the photocopier.