My Dad is a smart, educated man. A few years ago he asked me about an email he had received, and went to describe a version of this scam. I told him right away it was a scam, he responded by saying, “Well, maybe it couldn’t hurt to just respond…” Until I talked him out of it.
The thing is, he is a smart guy, he is just new to the Internet and a little naive.
Sigh.
[QUOTE=OtakuLoki]
I still stand by my amended assertion that in this day and age any adult not approaching senility should know better.
[/QUOTE]
I wouldn’t even throw in that caveat. I just checked the AARP website* and they have this covered.
*sigh. I got my first mailing from them when I turned 50, and something tells me that we’re going to become good friends as time goes on…
I read the funny account of one victim (read: idiot) who warned others with something to the effect of “Hey, it’s not just dumb people who fall for it, I fell for it and I’m smart”