What will the first person on Mars say?

The claim that what was said made no sense is not evidence that it wasn’t said in the first place, and I’ve got a century’s worth of Presidential speeches to cite if the need arises.

Huh? I wasn’t claiming he didn’t say it that way. I’m saying he flubbed the line.

Something prepared that won’t be “Up yours, Marvin”.

Something’s obstructing my view of Venus.

There was supposed to be an enormous KA-BOOM!

Bonus points if it’s “Holy living fuck!

I almost typed it as “That’s one small step for [a] man…” because I knew someone would bring up his grammar mistake :slight_smile:

Where is the 7-11?

It’s odd to me that people would ever quote it without inserting the [a], but of course they do. What do people think it’s supposed to mean without it? It makes no sense.

While that is true, most trips do not cost half a trillion dollars or more.

Sending a small crew to Mars to plant a flag and do some minimal amout of science among the effort to stay alive and in function condition at massive expense is a poor choice compared to sending increasingly capable probes and rovers while progressively improving the space infrastructure to support indefinite human habitation in solar orbiting space. When we can go to Mars as a matter of course of extending human presence rather than some desperate, grotesquely expensive effort justified only as an exhibition of national pride, then it will make sense to do so.

I would like to think this would happen within my lifetime but I am becoming increasing convinced it will not. We are making no significant efforts to develop even the necessary communication infrastructure much less the technologies necessary to sustain humans in the interplanetary space environment or on a world with conditions hostile to even the most hardy Earthlife. Everytime the issue of a space-based communications relay comes up in the NASA Decadal Survey—which is crucial not only for a crewed Mars mission but expansion of planetary exploration whoch is currently reliant on the obsolescent ground-based Deep Space Network—it is dismissed as not being of immediate necessity and outside of budget limitations.

Stranger

Hey, look at that, it’s coming this wa…AIEEEEEE!

They should have sent a poet.

“I claim this planet in the name of the Earth!”

Screw that:

“I’m the King of Mars! WOO-HOO! Mine! All mine!”
"My precious desolate nearly airless uninhabitable wasteland! Yesss! My preciousss!"

“I name thee…New Detroit!”

Edgar Rice Burroughs was a god-damned liar!

“Do as you will to your own and to your planet, but remember this warning - do not return to Mars.”

Astronaut comes out of capsule and slowly begins to descend ladder, watched by breathless billions worldwide, suddenly they begin to slip and tumble down

“woooaahhh, oh sh…ouch, Jesus, fuck…ooffff…”

lands in an undignified heap and begins to pick themselves up

“Goddammit, I told those pricks we needed a non-slip coating…wait, is that camera still running?”

“Has anybody told those poor bastards back home about the giant asteroid heading their way yet?”

MARS CALLING EARTH! MARS CALLING EARTH! WE ARE IN BIG TROUBLE! THEY HAVE A 1920s STYLE DEATH RAY HERE!

It isn’t as big as Uranus but its a start.