What Would Dopers Do - Contraception Edition

Condoms- sure, no problem.

Plan B- no.
Just…no.
It would involve fraudulently obtaining medication, and I’m really not OK with that.

Would I give them a ride to another pharmacy, their GP, a family planning clinic, young people’s health clinic or A&E- yes.

FWIW- you’re being ripped off again in the USA.
Here (Northern Ireland) you have the following options.
Get it free on prescription from your GP (mostly scripts are issued after a phone conversation, not a face-to-face consultation).
Get it free from an A&E or family planning clinic- which will involve several hours wait.
Pay £25 and get it OTC from a pharmacy (over 16 only).

Each prescription for the single tablet costs the NHS £15, or £5 if the GP prescribes the generic 2 tablets.

I do maybe 2 phone requests every week for emergency contraception.
I haven’t yet needed to turn a request down.

Apart from slight nausea, and possibly making the next period early or late, there aren’t many side effects.

You do need to make sure the person knows that it isn’t 100% effective, may not prevent ectopic pregnancy, won’t end an established pregnancy, doesn’t work prospectively, can interact with certain medications and is being taken in the right window after sex.
The UK website for Levonorgestrel post-coital contraception has a pharmacy locator, so we could even find out where else they could get it.

I don’t need to be lectured on birth control failure, thanks. I’ve got one of my own. I’m not “stupid” and I don’t blame people for birth control failure. But I’m wondering how someone on oral contraceptives (that is the only prescribed birth control you can pick up at a pharmacy, to my knowledge) knows there’s been a failure in time for Plan B to be an option.

I was wondering that, too. Other than realizing you’ve forgotten a pill, how would you know it malfunctioned?

You can also get the Nuva Ring and medroxyprogesterone (depo) at the pharmacy, but unless you are an RN they usually schedule an appointment to have the depo administered in the office. I would guess if the poster has a history of missing pills or not taking them at the same time every day, they may use Plan B as a backup option?

Assuming it’s legal for a 17yr old and not a 15y old, I’d buy the Plan B for the girl but not the boy. Don’t want to get in trouble with the law for a stranger’s sake. Condoms are always legal though, so they get a handful and a pat on the head to go have fun :smiley:

Good point (why do I *always *forget about the Nuva Ring?) but again…with either of those (or the Patch), you won’t know you’ve had a failure until it’s too late for Plan B.

Anyway, I was just curious as to what I was missing. Personally, I *hope *Maiira’s handing Plan B out to women to need it! That would be wonderful and kind. And expensive.

And I’m not stupid. Dammit. :frowning:

I don’t think anyone’s implying that you are, WhyNot. I guess maybe they are taking one every month just in case, especially if they have a history of failing contraception. And I forgot about Ortho Evra too. But I have not seen that maintain its popularity as much as the ring.

I would buy condoms. Plan B is another story though, since it involves putting chemicals inside your body. I would need to know the person who was asking and need to know them and their situation quite well.

Why? The pharmacist dispensing the drug doesn’t need to know them.

A lot of people in this thread are assuming that Plan B is a complicated or dangerous drug. However, it is available over the pharmacist’s counter, it doesn’t require a prescription, and the instructions for its use are no more complicated than the instructions on any other over-the-counter medication.

There are a lot of over the counter drugs that I would not buy for strangers or kids who are just aquintances, not just Plan B. I wouldn’t buy them alcohol or cigarettes if they asked, why would I buy them drugs?

I’ve been pregnant three times. Each time, I just knew when it happened. I can’t tell you how I knew, I just knew. And that includes the time when I got pregnant on the Pill.

Confirmation bias? That is, you’ve had moments of panic or intuition in the past but forgot about them because they didn’t result in pregnancy and are only remembering the ones that did?

I guess I’m weird. I wouldn’t do it, not because I’m against condoms, but because I am not the child’s parent. I don’t like the idea of helping someone else get around their parents wishes. Plus, asking strangers to buy something for you is just something you don’t do.

I’d tell the kid there are some in gas station bathrooms, and leave it at at that. And I am not buying anyone I don’t know medication. If I knew of a clinic, I might mention that, but that’s as far as I’ll go. Let someone qualified deal with this.

I very much doubt it. First of all, each time I was terrified, and I immediately started trying to get an abortion. Second, other women have reported this happening to them, too.

I don’t know; we’ve discussed it in other threads and many women (me included) report the same “just knowing” phenomenon. No logical explanation for it whatsoever. So yeah, maybe that’s why buying Plan B when you’re on hormonal birth control makes sense. Sadly, it seems like Maiira’s not going to come back and share her answer.

I forgot to click the option to buy condoms for a girl, so the one vote discrepancy is on me, but it wasn’t intentional. I’m not sure what i’d do about plan B. I don’t know enough about it. Would they really sell it to a guy? Are there questions I’d have to answer, lies I’d have to tell? I’m not sure I’d go to the bother for a stranger.

+1.

If you’re old enough to have sex, you’re old enough to take plan B too.

From the FDA:

This was changedto allow the OTC sale to “women 17 and older” in 2009, which confused some people.

Walgreens made the news when two of their pharmacists refused to sell it to men, but quickly responded to complaints from legal and consumer groups:

WhyNot has already clarified, but no they do not ask questions of you besides what your age is, male or female. So no lying on the girl or boy’s behalf would be necessary, just request the product, pay, and leave.

Taking Plan B might not be a good idea, depending on an individual female’s health, though, which is why I wouldn’t buy it in this situation. I don’t think that 15 year olds are generally old enough to be having sex, but I’d rather buy them condoms and have the kids use the rubbers than have the kids go ahead and do it bareback. I’d probably think that an individual 15 year old IS mature enough to have sex if s/he’s willing to buy condoms before sex. I remember being 15, and horny.