What would happen if we deregulated immigration?

I’m aware of that it’s the Declaration of Independence. True enough that when you swear to uphold the Constitution, you’re not directly swearing to protect a persons “inalienable rights” but to uphold the 7 Articles and 27 Amendments. Hence chula, I stand corrected.

Yet the beliefs expressed in the Declaration of Independence, although not constitutionally binding, are a corner stone of the concept known as the United States. As a matter of fact, the Constitution is a practical implementation for safeguarding our “inalienable rights”!

The Constitution isn’t a set of arbitrarily generated legislative proclamations. They exist because of the value system shared by the Founding Fathers. We can extrapolate what this value system (on which the Constitution was based) from, amongst other things, the Declaration of Independence. Therefore, indirectly, when you swear to protect the Constitution, you are pledging to protect our “inalienable rights”.

Regarding the UDHR, I would advice you to read it more carefully before voicing second-hand interpretations. Article 13 states:

http://www0.un.org/cyberschoolbus/humanrights/declaration/13.asp

The reason we have a Supreme Court in the U.S. is because any, that is ANY, constitutional declaration is open to interpretation. Since constitutional declarations are generalized statements meant to apply to a broad spectrum of human behavior, they will by nature remain ambiguous. They can’t be applied in a stringent rule-based manner. So the question arises, how are we to interpret Article 13 of the UDHR?

The UDHR doesn’t address the rights of member states at all. Therefore your claim of what the UDHR says or doesn’t say about accepting people is moot. I could claim that the international laws set forth by the General Assembly are in fact unconstitutional. Article 14 of the UDHR does address asylum seeking:

http://www0.un.org/cyberschoolbus/humanrights/declaration/14.asp

Does this imply that a person can be denied entry into and residence within a member state contrary to Article 13? In my interpretation, the UDHR does distinguish between free movement and movement compelled by persecution. However, asylum differs only in that a person, on arrival within a member state, calls on that host state to protect him or her against criminal indictments by and extradition to the persecuting state. The UDHR then goes on to say that such right to protection can’t be invoked unless persecution genuinely arises from political acts or attempts to deprive a person of his or her universal rights. Again, nothing about a member state’s right to reject entry. By this stage it should be clear to what degree the UDHR has to do with deregulation immigration.

Furthermore, there’s Article 23 on the right to employment:

http://www0.un.org/cyberschoolbus/humanrights/declaration/23.asp

It would require more deliberation to conclude whether Article 23 combined with other Articles of the UDHR implies that a person has the fundamental right to seek more fare employment conditions outside the member state of which he or she is a national. IMO, it does. If you dissent with above interpretations of the UDHR, I would be glad to read your Dissenting Opinion. :slight_smile:

ethnicallynot, although I agree with your previous post in spirit I must point out that Article 13 does not state the freedom of movement across borders, hence cannot be used to argue that immigration is a fundamental right dictated by the UDHR. The freedom of movement and residence is defined as being ‘within the borders of each state’. Granted that this could be interpreted the way you do, but I would call that contentious at best. In light of that the UDHR was adopted in 1948 at a time when globalization and the breakup of the nation states as a real potential was a notion of the future, I can only conclude that I find it unlikely that we should interpret Article 13 to have meant to grant freedom of movement across national borders. IMHO my interpretation is supported by the fact that they cared to clarify this in the next paragraph by declaring ‘[…] the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country’.

I guess this issue deserves a thread of it’s own…

Slow down there, ethnically. You’re failing to connect some of the dots in your arguments (or else you’re really confused). What does the US Supreme Court have to do with the UDHR? How can international law be unconstitutional? There’s no UN Constitution, so you must be talking about the US Constitution. You could say, “The implementation of international law domestically could raise some constitutional issues,” but that’s a different statement.

When states signed on to the UDHR, they did not intend to create open borders. I don’t have a source for that in front of me right now (maybe tomorrow), but in any case, common sense tells us they didn’t intend such a radical result.

I referred to Article 13 in my last post.

But, no one has the right to enter another country. Of course, one right is meaningless without the other, but in practice most of the rights in the UDHR are meaningless anyway. States are assumed to be fully sovereign except to the extent that they have explicitly accepted limitations on their sovereignty. So unless you can point to some obligation placed on states to accept immigrants, there is no right to immigrate.

The right to employment does not imply the right to choose the country where the employment is located. And once we start talking about economic and social rights, we’re talking about rights that are totally unenforced.

There are special international laws dealing with asylum seekers. I’m not an expert on this issue (and the UNCHR site seems to be down today). I’ve accepted a job with an international organization that worked with refugees, so if you want to continue this conversation in a few months, get back to me. :slight_smile:

As I said, this deserves a thread of its own. But since I’m certain sparculees won’t chide me for it, I will continue the discussion here. After all, it does follow the fundamental issue at hand: deregulation of immigration.

This is incorrect. You may not choose to call it a constitution because you’re limiting your definition to apply to the classical structuring of nation states. Beyond the UDHR, The UN has a Charter as well as a International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and an International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights. Together, these texts set forth the principals of the UN and dictate how the organization and its member states should conduct affairs. What would you call this if not a form of international constitution? One of Webster’s definitions for “constitution” reads “a written instrument embodying the rules of a political or social organization”. What do you want me to call it: international principals and articles of organization? Rather lengthy, so please accept my broader application of the term “constitution”.

I don’t know quite what to make of this statement even in the light of your narrow definition of constitution. Let me note, that the international domain is structured just like the national domain. There’s a executive, legislative and judicial layer. These layers all operate on principals and dictums set forth by aforementioned documents (Charter and Covenants). Even your statement indicates this: “international law” -> “implementation of such law”. The UN consists of a General Assembly (legislative), a Security Council (executive) and an International Court of Justice (judicial), plus a number of Councils (again executive). Without having to go into the relationship between the domestic an international arena, one could say that something “raises constitutional issues”. Please explain your statement more thoroughly.

Now, as for the U.S Supreme Court, it was merely mentioned to indicate that interpretation of ANY constitutional statement (for the lack of a better word) is open to interpretation and needs an organ to do so. I chose the US Supreme Court hoping you would be most familiar with its function. You are correct in that there’s no effective (note effective) International Court of Justice that will say a nation’s constitution is in fact unconstitutional (that is, contradicts the principals on which the UN was founded). Nonetheless, the UN sets forth a framework by which the member states should act, thereby creating the possibility of saying “you’re acting in contradiction to the UN Covenants and Charter”. Or, to put it differently, “you are acting unconstitutionally”.

Again, let’s address the UDHR. Even if it isn’t binding in the sense that it isn’t truly part of the UN constitution (the Covenants takes its place), it’s about as important to the principals of the UN as the principals set forth in the Declaration of Independence are the framing of the U.S. Constitution. The UDHR explicitly states that within the members states, a person should be able to call on moral obligations promulgated by articles of the UDHR.

True. The real power exercised by the UN over its member states is meek. Nearly as meek as its predecessor the League of Nations. Obviously this is because member states are reluctant to waive any sovereignty and there’s no political, military or legal structures to enforce more powerful members to really abide by its principals. Yet resolutions are passed year in and year out and every one at least surreptisiously agrees that the UN should serve as a supra-national organization regulating international affairs and, UNIVERSAL human rights. To be effective, some sovereignty needs to be waived. The UE is a good model for what is required by states to cooperate more efficiently and still retain a level of independence. The U.S. is yet another example. We all seem to agree on this. Now you raise the question as to what legally binding obligation the member states have to waive any sovereignty? Little. And the only threat for not acting in accordance with the UN constitution is exclusion from the UN itself. This is very seldomly implemented for fear that the organization will suffer the same fate as its old vanished ancestor.

So what about Article 13? Does it or doesn’t it place restrictions on regulating immigration? sparculees argues that certainly the intentions of the founding member states when forming the UN wasn’t to allow unrestricted international freedom of movement. Agreed. I doubt the Soviet Union was a hip proponent of that. First of all, the UDHR wasn’t put in place in San Francisco when the UN was formed. To interpret intentions of the UDHR, we need to look elsewhere. Yet, as a side note, I would like to remark that it is contentious whether the Founding Fathers of the U.S. personally intended women to have a vote. Nonetheless, it would seem backwards today to claim they don’t. Hence Amendment 19. When we look elsewhere to determine intent of the UDHR, we are primarily concerned with the DIRECTION and IMPLICATIONS of the thought processes initiated by those who gave birth to the UDHR and what they mean in a current social and economic context.

The group that helped draft the UDHR included people like Eleanor Roosevelt and the author H G Wells. This is where we need to look when determining intent. And, as for the reps of the Soviet Union? They abstained from voting for or against the UDHR, as did most of the east block delegates. But before looking at the intentions of the illustrious drafters, let’s first look at what the UN Covenant on Civil and Political Rights says (which is the actual basis of international law). According to Article 12 of the Covenant, you and sparcs are indeed correct:

Paragraph 1 and 2 of Article 12 is derived nearly directly from Article 13 of the UDHR. But suddenly it reads “lawful within that State” and “within that territory”. My claim is that this is a transmogrification of Article 13 of the UDHR based on national interests, not universal human rights. This Covenant needs as much amending as the U.S Constitution has gone through over the last 200 years. Even worse, IMHO, it contradicts the implications set forth by Article 13 of the UDHR. The Preamble of the Covenant reads “in accordance with the Universal Declaration of Human Rights”. I say it is indeed not in accordance! Paragraph 3 of Article 12 in the Covenant, however, makes sense and is (IMHO) a reasonable addendum. But paragraph 1 and 2 of Article 12 should have remained identical to Article 13 of the UDHR. Invoking Paragraph 3 , Article 12 of the Covenant, any member state could still argue for certain restrictions on immigration.

So, even accepting my controversial interpretation of Article 13, whether the member states are legally boundto have open borders isn’t the issue. The issue at hand is to balance a Universal Right (freedom of movement) against the common good (as expressed in Paragraph 2, Article 12 of the Covenant). Essentially, Article 13 states what we should aspire to: as much freedom of movement as possible under current socioeconomic conditions. All member states are morally bound to strive towards as open borders as possible. This post would become tediously lengthy if we began analyzing the intent of each person responsible for drafting the UDHR. Suffice to note that they were ideally driven. Those that went on to draft the Covenant were practically driven.

This is where we go full circle. The question of this thread, IMO, could be rephrased as: How far can we practically go to fulfill our obligations as expressed under Article 13 of the UDHR without threatening international stability? I would say, a lot further than currently…

[ul][]没有一共同语言, 没人能了解各另[]Demasiado una tensión en sociedad y el contribuyente de trabajo. []La coltura è un modo di vivere. Senza una coltura comune il nostro modo di vivere sarebbe distrutto. []Der einzige Platz, den Sie Utopie finden können, ist im Todd Rundgren Abschnitt zu Tower Records. []Esta é uma nação fundada em freedoms para ele é cidadãos, não freedoms do mundo inteiro. []Si les pères de fondation lisaient les avis à ce sujet ils vomiraient ou mourraient en riant. 私がちょうど言った何を私は考えを有しない。私によっては私の生命のあらゆる日がこのメッセージのようでほしくない。[/ul]

Yes, using the broad definition of constitution, the UN Charter is a constitutution. I am using it in the sense used by commentators on the UN system, who argue for and against the development of the current scheme into a “constitutional” system of checks and balances. The is the only definition that made sense in the context of your post that stated that a law could be considered unconstitutional.

The UN Charter resembles a constitution, but the UDHR, ICCPR, and ICESCR are treaties, and are only binding on states that have ratified them, like any other treaties.

That characterization is simplistic and plain wrong. The Security Council has both legislative and judicial functions. The ICJ has judicial functions but no authority to review decisions of the General Assembly or the Security Council, though it has been argued that it should be given this power. (See, e.g. Jose E. Alvarez, “Judging the Security Council” 90 A.J.I.L. 1 (1996); Matthias J. Herdegen, “The ‘Constitutionalization’ of the UN Security System” 27 Vand. J. Transnat’l L. 135 (1994).) (The ICJ did hint in the Lockerbie decision that it might head in this direction.) Legislation is created through treaties, not by the General Assembly: “Neither the United Nations nor any of its specialized agencies was conceived as a legislative body.” (Oscar Schachter, “United Nations Law” 88 A.J.I.L. 1 (1994).)

I was referring to the fact that an international treaty does not become law into it is given force domestically. The process for achieving this varies from country to country. In the United States, most treaties are considered “non-self-executing,” which means that a treaty is given no legal effect until it is further implemented by national legislation.

I mean that in some cases, international law is found to violate national constitutions.

Now, as for the U.S Supreme Court, it was merely mentioned to indicate that interpretation of ANY constitutional statement (for the lack of a better word) is open to interpretation and needs an organ to do so. I chose the US Supreme Court hoping you would be most familiar with its function. You are correct in that there’s no effective (note effective) International Court of Justice that will say a nation’s constitution is in fact unconstitutional (that is, contradicts the principals on which the UN was founded). Nonetheless, the UN sets forth a framework by which the member states should act, thereby creating the possibility of saying “you’re acting in contradiction to the UN Covenants and Charter”. Or, to put it differently, “you are acting unconstitutionally”.

Again, let’s address the UDHR. Even if it isn’t binding in the sense that it isn’t truly part of the UN constitution (the Covenants takes its place), it’s about as important to the principals of the UN as the principals set forth in the Declaration of Independence are the framing of the U.S. Constitution. The UDHR explicitly states that within the members states, a person should be able to call on moral obligations promulgated by articles of the UDHR.
True. The real power exercised by the UN over its member states is meek. Nearly as meek as its predecessor the League of Nations. Obviously this is because member states are reluctant to waive any sovereignty and there’s no political, military or legal structures to enforce more powerful members to really abide by its principals.

You mean every state shares this opinion? Not at all true. In particular, the United States and thrid-world countries continue to use the notion of sovereignty as a shield from international law.

To be effective, some sovereignty needs to be waived. The UE is a good model for what is required by states to cooperate more efficiently and still retain a level of independence. The U.S. is yet another example. We all seem to agree on this. Now you raise the question as to what legally binding obligation the member states have to waive any sovereignty? Little.

Correction: no state has ever been expelled. It is unlikely to ever happen.

So what about Article 13? Does it or doesn’t it place restrictions on regulating immigration? sparculees argues that certainly the intentions of the founding member states when forming the UN wasn’t to allow unrestricted international freedom of movement. Agreed. I doubt the Soviet Union was a hip proponent of that. First of all, the UDHR wasn’t put in place in San Francisco when the UN was formed. To interpret intentions of the UDHR, we need to look elsewhere. Yet, as a side note, I would like to remark that it is contentious whether the Founding Fathers of the U.S. personally intended women to have a vote. Nonetheless, it would seem backwards today to claim they don’t. Hence Amendment 19. When we look elsewhere to determine intent of the UDHR, we are primarily concerned with the DIRECTION and IMPLICATIONS of the thought processes initiated by those who gave birth to the UDHR and what they mean in a current social and economic context.

The group that helped draft the UDHR included people like Eleanor Roosevelt and the author H G Wells. This is where we need to look when determining intent. And, as for the reps of the Soviet Union? They abstained from voting for or against the UDHR, as did most of the east block delegates.

The text of a treaty is not the only basis of international law. Art

Two apologies: First, apparently I hit “submit reply” before I was finished. Please ignore that long, messy post. Second, we have clearly hijacked this thread. I hope Sparculees forgives us.

Yes, using the broad definition of constitution, the UN Charter is a constitution. I am using it in the sense used by commentators on the UN system, who argue for and against the development of the current scheme into a “constitutional” system of checks and balances. The is the only definition that made sense in the context of your post that stated that a law could be declared unconstitutional.

The UN Charter resembles a constitution, but the UDHR, ICCPR, and ICESCR are treaties, and are only binding on states that have ratified them, like any other treaties.

That characterization is simplistic to the point of being wrong. For example, the Security Council has both legislative and judicial functions. The ICJ has judicial functions but no authority to review decisions of the General Assembly or the Security Council, though it has been argued that it should be given this power. (See, e.g. Jose E. Alvarez, “Judging the Security Council” 90 A.J.I.L. 1 (1996); Matthias J. Herdegen, “The ‘Constitutionalization’ of the UN Security System” 27 Vand. J. Transnat’l L. 135 (1994).) (The ICJ did hint in the Lockerbie decision that it might head in this direction.) Legislation is created through treaties, not by the General Assembly: “Neither the United Nations nor any of its specialized agencies was conceived as a legislative body.” (Oscar Schachter, “United Nations Law” 88 A.J.I.L. 1 (1994).)

I was referring to the fact that an international treaty does not become law into it is given force domestically. The process for achieving this varies from country to country. In the United States, most treaties are considered “non-self-executing,” which means that a treaty is given no legal effect until it is further implemented by national legislation.

I mean that in some cases, international law is found to violate national constitutions.

You mean every state shares this opinion? Not at all true. In particular, the United States and third-world countries continue to use the notion of sovereignty as a shield from international law.

You mean the European Union? I might agree with you on that, but we’re definitely in the minority.

Correction: no state has ever been expelled. It is unlikely to ever happen.

You don’t “vote” for or against a treaty: you sign or don’t sign.

The text of a treaty is not the only basis of international law. Article 31 of the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties states that “A treaty shall be interpreted in good faith in accordance with the ordinary meaning to be given to the terms of the treaty in their context and in the light of its object and purpose” and lists evidence that can be taken into account in interpreting a treaty. Since none of these instruments explicitly creates a right to immigrate, you have to turn to sources such as the travaux préparatoires in order to make your argument. I don’t have copies of the travaux préparatoires on hand, but I think you agree that the parties’ intention was not to create a right to immigrate.

Which Covenant? It seems to me that the ICCPR and the ICESCR (especially the latter) are primarily statements of ideals.

I thought that that was the issue here. Your whole argument is riddled with “shoulds.” I might agree with you on the changes to international law that would be desirable, but there is currently no right to immigrate under international law, nor does it seem likely that we will see this right recognized in the near future.

I would like to suggest that a more relevant area of international law relates to the notion of nationality. The rule under customary international law is that a state has almost complete discretion to determine who is a national of that state. The Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness clearly presupposes that states have the right to regulate immigration.

You have indeed hijacked it in a way, but there is a certain point to be made here, as I would perceive by the most honorable and well-read combatants posts.

Carry on.

I didn’t realize how much energy I put into that post until I reread it. I would like to title it: “Advanced Procrastination Techniques: A Student of International Law Justifies Wasting Time on the Internet Instead of Studying for Exams.” I hope someone else joins in - I’ve got plenty more where that came from!

You’re erroneously equating some “shoulds” with “aught to in my humble opinion”. Unless otherwise specified (by adding IMHO), the word “should” is used to mean “moral obligation”. Any cohesive social system is built on top of two consecutive layers: a moral and a legislative layer. The legal system of a society is merely a subset of its moral system. In fact, ethics is the most profound and fundamental piece in determining how we organize ourselves socially. Without sharing values expressed in a common codex, there would be little, if anything, to bind us when we aren’t subjected to forces that threaten the very physical existence of out species. Yet a moral codex doesn’t expresses how we will act but how we aught to act. Therefore, the question arises: what do we do when someone breaks the rules through his or her conduct? Enter the legal system. We introduce penal actions. But the penal code doesn’t cover all possible digressions. At times, actions may be unethical within a given social system without being punishable in any strict sense under its current laws.

For some reason, you assumed from the outset that I was claiming that member states of the UN were under legal obligation to open borders under the UDHR. But the UDHR isn’t a legally binding document to begin with. So whatever I say that the UDHR says, you could argue: doesn’t matter, isn’t legally binding. It is today, however, a corner stone of the ethical system that justifies the existence of the UN. Therefore, the conduct of the organization and its member states can be judged by determining to what extent their actions, treaties, resolutions and such succeed or fail at meeting the moral obligations codified by the UDHR. Just as the U.S. Constitution can be evaluated against the ethical system on which it was founded (which in part can be extrapolated from such documents as the Declaration of Independence).

True (if you disregard the domestic processes by which a nation agrees to ratify a given treaty). But, your incorrect about the UDHR. It’s not a treaty at all. It’s a declaration. As such, in the short run, it may be much weaker than a treaty (such as the ICCPR and ICESCR) which (if domestically ratified) is legally binding under current international law. But in the long run, due to its universality, it is a much more powerful document that is more likely to regulate human behavior for generations to come. That is, if we aren’t annihilated by some cosmic force or our own ingenious minds. Or, we ultimately decide that “do-what-thou-wilst” is a better model for the survival of the species. Now, as for voting on the UDHR: it was adopted by the General Assembly on December 10 1948. 48 nations voted in favor, 8 abstained and 2 were absent.

I agree. It was simplistic. The UN certainly doesn’t have the separation of power required by contemporary democratic societies on the national level.

I realize that I have yet to prove conclusively that Article 13 of the UDHR puts a moral obligation on member states to strive towards maintaining as open borders as possible. From the way Article 13 reads, it certainly does, regardless of the drafters intent. The article reads: “Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state.” Why not, as the ICCPR reads: “Everyone lawfully within the territory of a State shall, within that territory, have the right to liberty of movement and freedom to choose his residence.” (remove “shall” and change “has” into “have” since it’s a universal declaration as opposed to a treaty)? There must have been a reason why the ladies and gentlemen that drafted the Covenant chose to alter the phrasing. And the simple answer is that Article 13’s ambiguity allowed for the controversial interpretation I have adopted. Certainly this is an interpretation nation states not interested in future generations but the immediate concerns of their constituencies don’t like. Yet, the UDHR reads as it reads. Doesn’t this, considering the number of sessions required to draft the document and the care put in selecting every word, strike you as a bit peculiar?

The UDHR is a declaration that attempts to establish an individual’s inalienable and universal rights politically. The document didn’t arise out of the blue after the atrocities of World War II, but resulted from millennia of dialectic exercises over how to optimally structure our social sphere. Article 13 addresses a human beings right to “freedom of movement”. It could be argued that the right derives from some divine justice. In which case there’s little to say but “it’s the rule of what I cannot fathom”. Or, it could be argued that it’s simply the best way of maximizing our potential survival as a species. I’m certainly not satisfied by an argument of “incomprehensible divine justice”. So, IMHO, the second argument is more satisfactory. Confining movement based on strict fallible rules that have dubious applicability on a case-by-case basis hinders the optimal distribution of resources (both informatic and physical).

Certainly these arguments must have circulated when drafting the document. At least on some level. Just like the "all men born with inalienable rights " argument of the Founding Fathers of the U.S. raised disturbing questions about slavery (and even indirectly suffragette). I’ve already noted my firm conviction that the UDHR wasn’t in any way intended to protect the interests of individual states. After all, the title reads “Human Rights” and not “Human vs. State Rights”. And it wasn’t meant to apply only to the conditions existing in the world around 1945-1948. It was intended to outlive the immediate geopolitical realities of the time. Which, in part, is why “Universal” is part of the title. How relative this was during the drafting process can be shown by the objections voiced by some socialist states. They argued that the human rights expressed in the document were based on a defunct bourgeois system of ethics. In our modern age, the rights of the collective were far more important the rights of the individual. Or, put differently, it was more important to protect the common good. Had they been a majority, I guess the document would today be called “Universal Declaration of Collective Rights”. And also by the discussions surrounding “freedom of religion” which didn’t stick well with states that believed in some form of absolute Islamic sheria. This was a battle of ideologies, not a geopolitical struggle over borders.

So, from a universal ideological position, does a person have the right to move and select their residence freely? If we admit that we are morally obligated (note how I avoid “should”) to protect such rights within the border of any given territory, how can we argue that such rights are confined to any given territory? Why do I have the right to move freely between New Jersey and New York and not the U.S. and Canada? Obviously, you say, because the former two territories are partially subservient to the same authority (the Federation of the United States of America) and share judicial structures. The latter territories are not part of the same sovereignty and have the right to self-determination. To establish any rights in respect to each other, they must enter into a treaty. The UN and UDHR, however, places member states into the same moral framework. It establishes a moral unity allowing us to transgress the concepts of sovereignty and self-determination, concepts tightly bound to fluctuating geopolitical realities. Essentially, it states that regardless of a state’s right to self-determination, it is morally obligated to abide by the ideals set forth herein. If the government of Spain fails to establish economic stability for those who reside within its territory, do these individuals have a right to seek stability elsewhere? It would contradict the rest of the UDHR if we claimed that a person doesn’t have this right. We could erect walls around failing countries with high poverty and say “We have no obligation to help you”. Which is what we often do. But must of us don’t claim a moral right to do so (except some crackpots like Le Pen). Rather, we use phrases like “threatening domestic stability”. But slowly, I’m sinking into the same quagmire as that which Socrates, Glaucon and Company take on in The Republic: what is justice and is it of any use? Paragraph 4, Article 12 of the ICCPR is an example of trying maintain some balance between what is good in the immediate sense and what is good for the future.

It’s in the ancient context of moral tradition which we need to interpret the UDHR, not post Thirty-Years-War and post-WWII geopolitics…

re the OP I am surprised no one said that the U.S. already has an open border. Anyone can come in and live wherever they want. It runs from San Diego to the Gulf of Mexico. Oh sure, if you are very unlucky you may be caught: you will be arrested and deported and have to try to cross again tomorrow.

That we don’t now have a relatively open border that people (250K to 1 million people per year - take your conservative vs. liberal pick) cross at will is an illusion. Anyone who can hitch, afford a ride or can walk to Northern Mexico can get into the United States.

Making them legal might actually slow the flow not increase it: They would have to pay taxes, be given insurance and be protected from exploitation (eg “your pickin’ for $1.50 an hour or I’m calling imigra”). That might make using them less valuable to business, meaning less jobs open for immigrants, meaning less immigration even if it was now “legal”.

I don’t think there are 25 million Mexicans and Central Americans saying “I can’t go into the U.S. because I would be breaking U.S. Immigration law.” I THINK pretty much anyone from Panama north who is serious about entering the U.S. can (or has).

Again, just a thought, I’m not positive I’m right.

chula, ethnicallynot, this is an interesting discussion. I will not attempt to go into the UN documents as you have but just sate my view which is that morally, ethically, we have absolutely no right to restrict people’s right to move anywhere in the world. Zero. OTOH, let us be realistic, many things are unfair but that’s the way they are and cannot be changed overnight. There is no way to suddenly, tomorrow, throw all borders open without causing great disruption and chaos which would not benefit anyone. But i do believe it is our duty to try to work towards that freedom in as short time as feasible, even if it means it is at a large cost to us, because that is the right thing to do. What I am amazed is how many people think they have an innate right to live in a country just because they were born there and yet the same right should be denied to other human beings. I think it is morally very wrong.

I see a close parallel between slavery 200 years ago and this issue today and yet most people would say they are absolutely different.

Slavery was morally wrong but once you have a society built upon it, just overturning it overningt would cause major disruption for everybody. But a society which was built upon slavery and then comes to realise slavery is morally wrong, has a duty to take steps, even at great cost, to end slavery in the shortest practically feasible time. I would not fault a society that did this but I would fault a society that dragged on an immoral institution like slavery.

Immigration today is the same thing. Restricting it is immoral but it cannot be immediately absolutely free without causing great disruption. I think it is very possible that in a couple hundred years people will look back and see us as barbarians who denied people such a basic right and some one will have to explain our mentality is not their mentality.

I would propose that all countries which can open their borders mutually without major disruptions should do so immediately. This would include, for example the USA, Canada, Europe and most developed countries. Then you would have another big block of developing countries, etc. That would be one major first step and it should be followed over short time by a gradual relaxation of requirements between blocks aimed at removing all requirements over time.

Some may argue this would have a cost but I would say we should do it because it is the right and moral thing to do, regardless of cost. Furthermore, if done right it should not only not have a cost but should provide great benefits. Globalization is a good thing in every reagard and we can only gain from more exchange between people from different cultures.

Historically people were pretty much free to move around the world and only in the last 100 years have we seen such strict limits. We should get rid of them ASAP.