What would happen if your uvula were cut off?

A gruffy? “Gruffy” is (rarely) used an an adjective, but, as a noun, it seems only to mean this!

If you didn’t abate the bleeding, you could well bleed to death (or choke).

Is this little bugger unique to humans?

Quoted from cite…I assume they mean “gruff voice”

Tweety once used Sylvester’s uvula as a punching bag, so we know cats have them.

It should have used just plain gruff. And the construction “a gruffy or other sounds” is odd. It should have been “gruff or other sounds.”

Me too.

I just had the septoplasty and uvulectomy on 02/26. Holy heck, does it hurt!! Trying to swallow or stinging from foods…supposedly, this case was 1 of the worst he had seen. He had to take more out than planned. Parts of my swallowing is like sand paper and matches…i am trying to find a “comfy” place, but not working right now…my uvula was so big that i would literally choke on it. It would catch food and be infected all of the time…hopefully, in a few days i will be off popsicles and applesauce…

About 6 years ago I had a tonsillectomy and a few days later, I realized my uvula was taken as well. Never had any problems with it, no swelling, no nothing, but I guess my doc decided it had to go. He never asked and never told me he took it, or why. I tend to avoid hard foods now like raw carrots, al dente rice, etc because they get really stuck in my throat and I could aspirate them. Gross, but I end up coughing mucus that has carrot crumbs because they go where they shouldn’t now that my uvula can’t block all the food I swallow from getting into my airway. There’s a tiny stump of uvula in the back of my throat, but once I had a beautiful, pendulous uvula. One of these days I’m going to call his office and ask when it’ll grow back. Till then I’ll walk this earth bereft of my uvula, lonely and longing…

Both of those were done at the same time? :eek: I had a septoplasty and a tonsillectomy/UPPP back in my early 20s and both were miserable. The septoplasty wasn’t particularly painful, but a week or two of forced mouth breathing was unpleasant, but the UPPP was a few days of sharp pain.

Regrettably, the snoring and apnea came back with a vengeance. The tonsillectomy did at least resolve tonsoliths and chronic infections.

I do remember a co-worker asking to see what had been done once I was back at work. He gasped “They took your screamer!”

I know someone born with cleft palate who doesn’t have a uvula and doesn’t seem to miss it.

slip of the scapel

“Shhhit.”

“Problem, doctor?”

“Uhhh… no. Not at all… Please nurse, would you mind clearing this odd lump of tissue here, and I’ll move to the other side. That bleeding is totally normal…”

Damn you, I wanted to do that joke!

It is supposed to hurt. Those are major surgeries with a significant recovery time. The doctors warned me those are some of the most painful surgeries an adult can have. I didn’t think it was all that horrible but I am glad they warned me so I could get psyched up for it. If they told me it was going to be a walk in the park, I would have been much more upset when I found out the truth.

The good news is that it will get better fairly quickly and you should be better off for it in the long-term. It has been years since I had mine done and now I have to remember that it was ever done at all when new doctors ask about surgical history. I don’t notice it at all day to day. It never completely cured my sleep apnea but it did make it better. I still use a CPAP most nights but it is optional rather than completely necessary. The snoring was permanently dampened as well. I hardly ever get colds anymore either and they are mild when I do. I am not sure what my tonsils, adenoids and uvula were supposed to be doing in the first place but I do know that they weren’t doing it well and I am better off without them.

Read your cite more carefully. You are confusing the uvula with the epiglottis. Your cite describes the functions of both.

Me, Me! I’ve had this too. Never knew it was due to my snoring though. I always wondered what caused that (the few times I’ve experienced it).