What would the U.S. do if another civil war in Mexico broke out?

:rolleyes: You have a habit of extrapolating the feelings of a minority into the actions of the majority and reaching an obviously incorrect conclusion. But I suspect you know that.

I think **selinus **got it mostly right. It would depend on what the details were. If there was an uprising against what we considered the legitimate government of Mexico, and that government asked for assistance, we’d probably give it some.

I won’t pretend to know the actions that should be taken if civil war were to break out in Mexico. But I’m convinced of one thing.

The border would become militarized to the point that North and South Korea would say, “Holy shit! They’re serious about this!”

Numerous times, actually. At least 31(!) known Assassination attempts (including the one(s) The Day Of The Jackal were based on), and many, many more people who would have liked to take a shot at DeGaulle if they thought they could get away with it.

Pierre Demaret & Christian Plume wrote a book on the subject, entitled Target: DeGaulle. Well worth reading if you ever find a copy!

Hang on. You’re leaving the door wide open for him to bring up Hamas. I’m sure the next assertion will be to attack Israel.

Sounds strange, but the OAS was certainly not left-wing. Many French considered Algeria as much a part of France as any other of the departments and were not happy at all about Algerian independence.

You’re assuming the anti-immigration movement has enough leverage to be heartless bastards to the people fleeing a civil war under the US nose, which it wouldn’t.

Oh right, so I assume ‘quite a few people you know’ equals 290 million or so Americans?

Oh and incase you forget alot of those ‘brown people’ are Americans too :rolleyes:

why do you have a knack for over hyped generalisations?

I don’t think Der Trihs has forgotten that, but it appears practically everybody in the anti-immigration movement has.

It wasn’t a minority that passed laws like the overturned Proposition 18 here in California, which among other things would have forbidden medical care to illegal alien children. All my life I’ve seen rabid hatred towards Mexicans; I see no reason to believe apologists like yourself who claim the bigots are only a minority.

Well, that doesn’t equate to rabid hatred of Mexicans. Unless you think only Mexicans come here illegally?

Perhaps Californians realize that the legitimate children are suffering from the crushing weight of the illegal’s health care burden? It’s all well and good to talk about the children when deflecting an opposing view, but one way or another there is a child suffering because of the strained resources. I have to agree, as cold as it sounds, with the voters that want to take care of their own, then spend the remaining resources on those in need. Charity. Every study I’ve seen shows that Americans are the most generous in charitible giving.

At some point someone has to step in and start managing the limited resources a bit better. Keep in mind, for every illegal getting health care, there’s a citizen going without.

:dubious: Ya wanna rephrase that, laddie?

He does. Unfortunately, he is correct this time.

No, but those are the ones we care about; at least until the recent flare up against Islamic people.

If I saw any evidence that most of us cared about poor children ( or poor anybody ) I might buy that a little. For that matter, I’d need evidence that hospitals are “suffering from the crushing weight of the illegal’s health care burden?”, instead of benefiting from the increased tax base and cheap labor.

And every study I’ve heard of says that in terms of our assets and population, we’re right at the bottom.

Because, of course, the diseases suffered by illegal aliens would never jump to us legal people, given that we’re God’s Chosen and all.

Wow, I thought you were delusional. Maybe you’re just nuts.

Seriously?

They’re bringing diseases? I remember when disased immigrants were quarantined until healthy. I guess bringing diseases into the general population is acceptable and embraced. Never thought about that. You’ve opened my eyes.

And the anti immigration movement = the majority of US citizens?

No he’s not, illegal immigration is a problem, but I don’t see immigration on a whole being the issue here. Nor do I see the US just simply turning back refugees from Mexico to retain an anti immigration stance. All Der is doing is trying to do is make blanket assertions, using the old adage of ‘imperialists exploiting the brown workers’ to make his point.

But how are we going to handle millions of refugees pouring across the border?

If there were a civil war in Mexico that was so intense that millions of people were fleeing the country then there’s no way we’d stand aside and accept the refugees. We’d occupy the country at the “invitation” of one of the parties in the conflict, and we’d set up INTERNAL refugee camps. People caught crossing the border would be taken back to Mexico to one of those camps.

Seriously, millions of refugees fleeing civil war wouldn’t make anyone happy. And refugees are liable to continue the civil war here, just because they are now in the US doesn’t mean the causes of the civil war vanish. If we don’t want the war to spread to the US we’d have to militarize the border, not just the “fence” anti-immigrationist want, but with armored divisions dug in. And we’d have troops over in Mexico doing something about the civil war, although what good they’d do is an open question.

A civil war that causes millions of people to flee their homes isn’t going to be a low level insurgency, it’s not going to be a few Chiapans taking potshots at the Federales. To cause that kind of dislocation would take a really big war. And for all of Mexico’s problems I don’t see that kind of war happening, ever.

I dunno, but we might find out soon.

I assume you mean prop 187, since prop 18 concerned special circumstance of Murder. However, your characterization of that proposition is, as is often the case with your posts, incorrect.

Prop 187 required that anyone receiving public assistance had to declare whether they were legally in the country or not. However, it explicitly exempted emergency medical care from that requirement.

As to the original post of yours about the Berlin Wall, you seem to forget that the purpose of that wall was to keep people in East Berlin, not to keep them out of West Berlin.

Yes.

No, they are perfectly capable of catching diseases here; it’s just that if they are allowed to die by the thousands like the anti-immigrant people want the diseases will have a large reservoir to spread from.

Yes; that’s why anti-immigrant laws get passed, and why politicians bash foreigners, immigrant or not; it’s popular.

You mean anti-illegal immigrant laws?

Look, prop 187 simply said:

We’ll treat your emergency medical needs, but for your ongoing medicial needs we suggest you return to the country where you are a citizen, and where you can legally reside-- because you cannot legally reside here. If you get the needed documentation and become a legal resident, you may stay and avail yourself of all the services that we offer to people here legally.

Please BG. I expect that type of nonsense from a few of the other posters on that thread but not you.