What would you do in the position of this Jew

I’ve said the same thing to my wife. If someone puts a gun to Vagabond’s head, run and don’t look back.

I understand why he did what he did historically, and I considered it and it would weigh on my conscience somewhat. But ultimately he’s not to blame for the psychotic actions of others. Obviously he feared for his life or he wouldn’t have done that, so the intentions of the Nazis was well known to him. Further, that they’d have such a disportionate response to his actions as to kill 100 innocent people and threaten to kill 5000 more, in my mind, puts them so far beyond and level of reason or honor that I couldn’t possibly expect them to hold to the idea that those people would be spared if I did turn myself in. There’s literally nothing that stops them from killing him and then killing those 5000 anyway.

So, yes, the only correct answer is to stay on the run and hold solely the Nazis responsible for whatever actions they would end up taking.

I’d lam it as well.

The way I see it, none of the 5000 would turn themselves in for me, and would probably join the hunt in tracking me down.

I’m not married, but, if somebody puts a gun to Vagabond’s head, I’ll run and not look back.
Maybe even take a couple shots at him myself!

I wouldn’t even have to tell my gf this:

1. The gunman would probably be her new bf
  2. Even if not, she’d probably just stick around for laughs
  3. Since when has she ever done anything I told/asked her, anyway???

How did word get back to him that the Nazis were making this generous offer? I assume it would have been family or friends (maybe a little guilt?). And in 1943 was it yet well-known where Germany was disappearing Jews to? I mean, there’s denial and hoping they’ll leave you alone if you keep a low profile, and then there’s knowing they’ll be coming for you and just marking time until theydo. It seems like if things were out in the open to such an extent someone could actually say, “We’ll grease another 5,000 in your name” you’d have seen a bit more emmigration, possibly some serious uprisings.

But just to cause a little more confusion and horror, he does his operations naked and becomes known as The Bare Jew.