What Zell Miller really thinks of John Kerry.

As others pointed out, he’s retiring. I find it ironic that the Republican challenger for his seat is less right wing than Zell is.

I found it reassuring that Isakson beat out the two right-wing wackos who were also running in the primary.

I go into this fully aware of my potential Republican bias in crafting this post and coming up with this theory. But hey, not like a little bias has ever stopped anyone on this board before.

I think I can see where Zell is coming from and the argument he can easily use to someone bringing this up. In 2001, he would have viewed Kerry’s actions, words, and efforts in an optimistic light because he had no reason to disagree with him. Now, for whatever reason Miller might choose, he has a less than rosy view of Kerry. As such, he now chooses to view Kerry’s actions, words, and efforts in a pessimistic light. He takes his glass half full view and can apply it to past Kerry actions and see what he wants to see out of it.

I am inclined to think this is the case, because I can relate. Up until about 1 year ago, I was a fan of Kobe Bryant. Oh sure, I wouldn’t stand up for him as the greatest play ever or anything, but if asked I would be more likely to side with him versus Shaq in a Lakers argument.

Now, post “trial” and related activities, I look back and realize that Kobe actually kind of sucks. He hurts his team as a player, he doesn’t really make anyone better, he gets too much credit, and he just isn’t all that great of a guy. Whereas in the past I would have wanted him on my favorite team, now, I would be more likely to abandon liking that team if they thought spending multiple millions on him was a good investment.

I know, not a perfect analogy. But short of the same thing happening in 2028 when Zell Jr. pulls out a steel chair on John Kerry Jr I doubt I will find a perfect analogy.

Except that almost every instance that he cited came well before 2001. So he knew damned good and well what Kerry’s record was (and it was pretty damned good, too) when he made the speech praising him. As such, he’s now whoring himself to those who he thinks are going to win. He’s wrong, but waddaya gonna do?

And Conason has an interesting article about Miller today right here.

Y’know, just in case you want to read more about him.

[QUOTE=GLWasteful]
Except that almost every instance that he cited came well before 2001. So he knew damned good and well what Kerry’s record was (and it was pretty damned good, too) when he made the speech praising him. As such, he’s now whoring himself to those who he thinks are going to win. He’s wrong, but waddaya gonna do?

[QUOTE]

Re-read what I wrote. In case I wasn’t as clear as I thought, the basic idea is that up until time X (say 2002) Zell viewed John Kerry in a certain positive light. He may have overlooked negatives, over-inflated positives, and in a situation that could be turned either way, he would tilt towards the synopsis that looked best for Kerry.

After time X (say 2002) he now overlooks the positives, over-inflates the negatives, and tilts toward the more negative slant of a situation that Kerry is in.

It’s sort of his own personal Rashoman.

Passes note to Ethilrist

We can still drop without a penalty. I’m heading over to the library for some factual information.

I dunno. I watched that speech, and his was not the demeanor of someone who had arrived at a conclusion different from that of three years ago. He was in full tilt boogie “Testify To Jesus” mode.

In order for me, say, to have a change of heart that extreme, the object of my ire would have had to kill my child, fuck my dogs, run off with my wife, crap on my area rug, steal my Richard Thompson CDs and stomp on my pansies. Twice.

I’ve no doubt that he viewed Kerry as a nice fella. Hell, I’ll bet that he still doesn’t hate him. He’s just fallen in with the wrong crowd.

I like that. May I steal it shamelessly for use in future conversations?

As McCain told Jon Stewart, “Kerry must have shot his dog”.

By all means. Mi catchphrase es su catchphrase.

Hijack.

[QUOTE=Zoe]
Tennessee is still considered by some to be a battleground state. East Tennessee will go Republican. QUOTE]
Hey Zoe, we’re not giving up here yet. You are likely right, but there are many active democrats like myself in this area working to get out the truth as well as the vote.

Keep hope alive.

Sorry for the hijack.