Whatcha Readin' Dec 2010 Edition

I’m reading Locke & Key, a creepy graphic novel set in Lovecraft, Mass. and written by Joe Hill, Stephen King’s son. I also just started Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, which a friend insisted I’d love. So far so good for both.

Finished Aztec, by Gary Jennings. Enjoyed it to the end. Almost made me feel sorry for the Aztecs. Liked the ironic ending. I will definitely check out Jennings’ The Journeyer on my next trip to the library.

But first, I’m going to give Henry James another whirl. Today or tomorrow, I’ll start The Wings of the Dove. Hope I like it better than his The Ambassadors. At least I’ve seen the 1997 film with Helena Bonham Carter.

I’ve begun Godel, Escher, Bach, something I’ve been meaning to read for a long time. Reading I am a Strange Loop first helped.

I’m also starting The City and the City by China Mieville. looks good so far, but I’m only a few pages in.

I just finished Glory Season by David Brin. Very interesting take on a matriarchal society, and a ripping yarn as well.

Finished the 5th Charlie Chan book, Charlie Chan Carries On, and am now taking the much-denied break before reading the last one.

Moving on to Soon I Will Be Invincible based on recommendations here.

Just finished reading a TERRIBLE book I found on a way back bookshelf. It’s some sort of 70s smut. I don’t even think it had an author. TERRIBLE. It had no sex appeal whatsoever. BOO!

Let’s see, also in December I’ve read Doppelganger, by Marie Brennan (started strong but the pacing seemed weird) and Valor’s Choice, by Tanya Huff (military sf isn’t my cup of tea, but this worked well for me).

Currently reading The Soprano Sorceress, by LE Modesitt, Wolfsbane, by Patricia Briggs,* Queen in Danger*, by Adam Hall, and The Omnivore’s Dilemma, by Michael Pollan.

On hold at the library are Thicker Than Water, by Mike Carey, and The Summer Tree, by Guy Gavriel Kay.

I’m reading Falls the Shadow, by Sharon Kay Penman, the second in a series (the first was Here Be Dragons of historical fiction dealing with the royal families of Medieval Wales and England.

Very engaging and, I think, has at least the feel of historical accuracy.

The major theme here is that, due to the centrality of the marriage alliance in this time, all of the antagonists are very closely related to each other - the first book, centred on the wife of the prince of Wales, whose father was the King of England, was all about how this woman gets torn between the two of them (and has to come grudgingly to realize her beloved father, who took her in and accepted her in spite of her illigitimacy when her maternal family utterly rejected her, is in fact a sort of monster).

While the plots often centre on stong women, does not fall into the trap of imputing modern attitudes to such matters as the relationship between the sexes to medieval characters. You have Elanore of Aquitane, not a medieval Gloria Steinem …

conflict is driven by attitudes that at least appear sensibly location-sensitive (for example, a major plot point turns on the antagonism created among the Welsh princely families by the fact that, under Welsh rules, being illigitimate was no bar to inheritence and succession and all brothers, at least in theory, were supposed to inherit equally - leading to fraticidial conflicts being a common feature of their lives).

I’m about a hundred pages into Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell, which reads somewhat like if Jane Austen wrote a Harry Potter book. So far it’s great!

I’m almost halfway through Soon I Will Be Invincible and, while I like it overall, I can’t help thinking it needed a better editor.

For example, I just finished a section where Doctor Impossible flashes back to his college years. When he discusses taking his GRE, he’s “startled at how young all the seniors looked,” then, one page later, he describes mingling with other graduate students, saying he was “shocked at young they seemed.” And the author repeats himself like that a lot. It’s annoying, and after the first few times, it started to pull me out of the story.

Also, it appears to be headed for an obvous ending. I hope it’ll surprise me at the end, but right now, it seems fairly predictable.

Those nitpicks aside, it’s a fun read. I’ll probably finish it over the weekend.

“Me” by Ricky Martin. Bleh. A very high-minded and philisophical auto-bio of the “…and then I (made this album, was in this play, went on tour), and then I (repeat)”. It reads like it was translated from another language, which may be true, being a little … stilted? Anyway, he sounds like a nice person. But it’s not very emotional/informative/rivetting.

I both love and hate these threads, for the same reason: I always find lots of new books to buy. :smiley:

Right now I’m reading two titles, the first via Kindle and the other the old-fashioned way:[ul][li]What The Dog Saw, by Malcolm Gladwell. I like Gladwell ok, but have found that I prefer to take breaks between his books; therefore, I’m catching up on him gradually.[/li][li]Grimm Pictures: Fairy Tale Archetypes in Eight Horror and Suspense Films, by Walter Rankin. I confess that I am friends with the author, which is how I learned about the book and is part of the reason why I bought it, but it’s also a topic that genuinely interests me (in grad school I took a folklore class that touched heavily on fairy tales). Thankfully I am finding the book to be thought-provoking and well-written, so I won’t have to lie to my friend when I tell him I liked it. ;)[/ul][/li]

That sounded very interesting, and when I looked it up on Amazon I saw that he published a book in 2003 called Complications. Have you read it? If so, did you like it just as much?

Have you read Heart-Shaped Box? I liked it more than I thought I would. I’m not into graphic novels so I probably won’t check out Locke & Key, but your post prompted me to see if he had any other novels and now I have added Horns to my wishlist. :slight_smile:

Heart-Shaped Box has been on my to-read list almost since it came out and got great reviews. Someday I hope to get to it.

I read that a few months ago and really enjoyed it. It was delightfully gross and made me guffaw several times. Not a bad catch for one of those Borders buy-one-get-one-50%-off deals.

I am also about 2/3 of the way through Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. Over the last few years I had several false starts with this book, and I guess finally it just clicked. There are some rather twee narrative things going on throughout (such as “surprized,” “chuse” and others). but I’m really enjoying the story and can’t wait to see how things end up.

One of the highlights of last month’s reading was China Mieville’s Kraken, which I picked up on someone’s recommendation in a previous thread. Many, many thanks to those who thought to mention it here. I loved it, and am looking forward to reading more of Mieville’s work.

I hear you, but one reader’s “rather twee” is another reader’s “authentic Regency style.”

I too liked Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. It’s one of those books I’d describe as being more about the journey than the destination, so I’m glad y’all are enjoying the experience!

Interlibrary loan request placed for Grimm Pictures: Fairy Tale Archetypes in Eight Horror and Suspense Films. That does sound good!

Horns is pretty good, but the flashbacks add a lot of bloat to what would otherwise be a pretty fantastic novella. And there’s a few “twists” that are so telegraphed you’ll think they were sent by Samuel Morse.

Still worth a read though, Joe Hill is one of my new go-to authors.

Tempost Tost, the first book in Robertson Davies’ Salterton Trilogy, and it’s delicious.

Also finished 1922, the first novella in Stephen King’s new collection. Is there a term for good writing/stupid plotting? Because it’s well-written – no bloat and none of King’s annoying quirks (except for clumsy foreshadowing) – but it just didn’t make sense to me that Wilf would involve his teenage son in the murder. He told the kid that he was needed, but he really wasn’t. Did Wilf just need someone to share the guilt? Was he too spineless to do it on his own? Did he think the kid would encourage him if he faltered? It wasn’t necessary for the subplot of Hank running away with Shannon – that could have happened anyway. It did serve the purpose of showing Wilf to be a really horrible person. Who gets their kid to help kill his mother?

Very cool; I’ll tell the author. :slight_smile: Expect the writing to be a bit academic, but not dense. I’m finding many of the comparisons to be pretty interesting. Also, at first I wondered if I’d struggle with the chapters that deal with movies I haven’t seen, but I’m finding that enough pertinent info is provided.

(The movies are The Silence of the Lambs, Scream, The Ring, The Talented Mr. Ripley, Aliens, Rosemary’s Baby, What Lies Beneath, and Misery.)

Thanks!

Full Dark, No Stars? I have that on my wishlist: I love King short stories.

Same here. I just got a Kindle, and my first not-free book is Duma Key. Which, to answer the OP, is what I’m reading now.

I’m also reading The Hunger Games, Idiot America, and a biography of Willie Mays.

I just finished “The Big Short” by Michael Lewis. I really enjoyed it. Very informative, but also a strong narrative.

Next up is “The Botany of Desire” by Michael Pollan. I loved “The Omnivore’s Dilemma,” so I am really looking forward to it. Actually, that is one of my all-time favorites, so I hope not to be too disappointed.

I have a huge stack of library books next to my bed and it includes “Full Dark, No Stars.” That will probably follow the Pollan.

In last month’s thread I mentioned starting “The Interrogative Mood” by Padgett Powell. It is book of nothing but questions styled like a novel. I wondered if it would get annoying. It did, but it is interesting enough to finish, maybe after I finish this huge stack of library books. I have two more waiting to be picked up, too. So much reading to do, so little time.

Finished The Black Nile, a book about the author’s trip down said river a year or so ago. Now reading Mawson’s Will, the true story about Antarctic exploration, survival and death.