Like many here, I’m currently reading several books, and have a huge TBR pile. Amongst others, right now I’m reading Our Inner Ape by Frans de Waal, a primatologist who examines chimpanzee and bonobo behaviour in terms of the light that it can shed on human behaviour. I’m about 100 pages into it, and am finding it well worth the read.
I’m also part way through Stumbling on Happiness by Daniel Gilbert. It’s interesting but hasn’t held my attention sufficiently that I haven’t been distracted by other books.
I just finished reading Seven Daughters of Eve by Bryan Sykes, a geneticist at Oxford, who amongst other things analyzed the DNA of the “iceman” discovered in Italy several years ago, the DNA of Anna Anderson who claimed to be Anastasia, and the DNA of the putative remains of the Romanovs. The books is a few years old now, but is about the mitochrondial DNA of Europeans, and trying to trace it, including whether the matrilineal ancestry is traceable primarily to those who arrived with farming technology or the already “settled” hunter-gatherers. It was really quite a fascinating book. The only part I enoyed less was the fictional stories of each of the “daughters of Eve”. Overall, though I found quite a compulsive book.
