What's in your car's trunk?

A body

It’s good to see that so many people carry first aid kits.

In the boot of the Herald is a scissors jack that I salvaged from a Toyota pick-up, a car cover, and a couple of drum brakes. The spare is flat.

Lessee. Honda Civic.

• Spare tire from mfr.
  • 4 way tire iron
  • jumper cables
  • Cheapass scissors car jack (I’d like a nice floor jack like my dad used to have, but according to friends a phone and AAA membership is worth more)
  • Trunk net
  • Mason jar of spare change that needs a Coinmaster home
  • Weird blue lacy towel thing that my Oma made and which I’m too afeerd to bring into the flat
  • Assorted junk

Nobody you know.

I drive a 2002 Subaru Forester, so I don’t have in a trunk, but in the “way back” (as we used to call the very back of station wagons when we were kids), I have a dog leash, tire tool, water bottle (empty), and a couple of receipts for cat food from the vet’s office.

Oh, and dog hair. Lots of dog hair.

I have a Jeep Cherokee, and I refer to the back section as the Penalty Box (so whenever I have more than four passengers, someone gets to sit in the Penalty Box :slight_smile: ). I have a duffle bag with jumper cables, a Mag-Lite, a collapsable orange road-cone (which is fun for everyone, really), a four-way tire iron, a case with about 50 cassette tapes, two bounce boards to kill shadows when taking video outdoors, a couple of DVC-Pro cassettes, lots of dirt and cigarette ashes, possibly some napkins and one pulp novel about some guy in Arabia named Casca. And a black dress shirt. I have no idea to whom it belongs or when it got into my car. So if any dopers are missing a black dress shirt, gremlins put in the back of my Jeep.
In the winter time, I put bags of playsand into black plastic garbage bags to weigh down my rear end. Helps prevents spinouts. And I get to tell folks I have bodybags in my gar. :smiley:

I have a Jeep Cherokee, and I refer to the back section as the Penalty Box (so whenever I have more than four passengers, someone gets to sit in the Penalty Box :slight_smile: ). I have a duffle bag with jumper cables, a Mag-Lite, a collapsable orange road-cone (which is fun for everyone, really), a four-way tire iron, a case with about 50 cassette tapes, two bounce boards to kill shadows when taking video outdoors, a couple of DVC-Pro cassettes, lots of dirt and cigarette ashes, possibly some napkins and one pulp novel about some guy in Arabia named Casca. And a black dress shirt. I have no idea to whom it belongs or when it got into my car. So if any dopers are missing a black dress shirt, gremlins put in the back of my Jeep.
In the winter time, I put bags of playsand into black plastic garbage bags to weigh down my rear end. Helps prevents spinouts. And I get to tell folks I have bodybags in my car. :smiley:

oops…sorry bout the double post :smack:

Actually, my first aid kit is in my Camelbak M.U.L.E. hydrapak (backpack with 100 Oz water resivoir), and since i usually cart my bike around with me, and use it to bike to lunch, i always have the first-aid kit with me

in the MULE i have;
small first-aid kit
small roll of duct tape
my Park Tool bike repair kit
a Toppeak mini-pump
Bullfrog SPF 40 pump sunblock
my biking gloves
my Master Street Links security chain
my Master Quantum 15 braided cable lock
some energy bars (Clif bars, Mojo bars)
a couple packets of energy gel (with a couple emergency packets stashed behind the water bladder)
100 Oz of Dihydrous Monoxide
a lightweight rain shell
a small towel (to avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal)

so i guess i can add that to my “in car” emergency stuff, because if i’m not wearing the MULE biking, it’s in the car…

2001 Toyota Camry:

4 or 5 paperback novels I’ve been meaning to take to Half-Price Books
Can of Fix-a-Flat
Headrest from the back seat, removed so we could install a carseat
One of these
Crystal wedding picture frame still in the box. We’ve been married 5 years.

That’s it.

In my trunk? Just the usual stuff.

A few handtools
A few car-type supplies
A rainsuit
A pair of hiking boots
Coupla guns
Coupla hunnerd shotgun shells

I just looked in there. Add to my list:

1 can FixAFlat
1 gallon coolant
1 box latex gloves
1 Maglite & 1 broadbeam flashlight
1 roll paper towels
1 bag misc. bungee cords
1 hard hat & 1 orange safety vest, tucked into hardhat (You’d be amazed where you can go with a hard hat, clipboard, and a scowl.)

plus the stuff behind the seat in the cab. I drive a KingCab for a reason!

OK…maybe I am a little paranoid. :smiley:

y’know, taken out of context, the bolded items could get you some rather…interesting looks :wink:

I drive an SUV, so I don’t really have a ‘trunk.’ Right now in the back of the car I have:

The standard spare tire supplies under the carpet.

2 sweaters
1 of those metallic foldie sun visor things for the front windshield
A 12 pack corrugated wine shipper- 2 pieces, unassembled
A 6 pack corrugated wine shipper - 2 pieces, unassembled
A tube of sunscreen - SPF 50
A box of old toys to drop off at the Goodwill
A road map of California, half unfolded, that I tossed back there a couple of weeks ago because I was too lazy to fold it back up.

Mostly crap I’ve had to move from the cab of the car when I had to drive multiple people around. But one thing I have in there is an empty growler from Beach Chalet Brewery. It fell out of the cardboard box I originally put it in, and it’s been clanging around in the trunk ever since. I would remove it, but now I’m fascinated by the fact it’s been back there, with plenty other hard objects, and it’s still in one piece.

Honey? Is that you?

Sometimes my husband takes my car for a day or so. It never fails that he leaves a box of ammo in there. Then I go to get groceries and open the door so the grocery carry out person can put the stuff in the back seat and there’s the ammo! I always end up saying something stupid like, “Uh, that’s not mine.” He’s also responsible for the empty gun case that’s in my trunk now. (Potting soil is all mine, though.)

Y…M…C…A, I want to stay at the YMCA… :smiley:

That’s why he’s got that role of paper towels in there, too. Clean up.

I just bought my car a month ago, and there’s NOTHING in the trunk! (Well, there’s the spare, but that’s down in the recess and covered by the trunk carpet, so I don’t count it.) It’s clean and smooth and sometimes I just stand outside with my trunk lid open and gaze in awe upon the unspoiled blue carpeted vista that is my empty trunk.

On the down side, my 2 liter soda bottles roll all over the place on the way home from the store.

I think there are a couple of terrorists in my trunk, but I’ve yet to root them out. Hell, I’ll just call Homeland Security–I’ve got a bridge game tonight.