Toast 6 Titanium
Jam 6
TextEdit
AppleWorks6
Dvd Player
Quicktime
KisMAC (netstumbler)
Disk Utility
Activity Monitor(stays active w/cpu usage displayed)
Terminal
Temperature Monitor(always active)
Trash

Finder, FireFox, Fire, Mail, iTunes, Address Book, iCal, Calculator, iPhoto, DVD Player, System Preferences, AppleWorks 6, TextEdit.

And after the little divide:

A couple of AppleWorks spreadsheet files, a minimized FireFox window, and the Trash.

Am I the only OS X user who refuses to use the damn thing?

I order mine from most-used to least-used programs (the ones I almost never use at all or I only use when opening files that use them anyway aren’t even on the dock).

Finder
Firefly
AIM
iTunes
Mail
System Preferences
Poisoned (which’ll be on the way out soon since it got crappy with its latest update)
Limewire
Appleworks
Calculator
iChat (never use this, no idea why I keep it on there)
iCal
VLC
Windows Media Player
Photoshop
Quicktime
Safari
Preview

How do you not use it? I mean, you can make the computer hide it until you move your cursor to the dock’s part of the screen, but how do you access your programs and files then? And is there a way to get rid of the dock rather than just hiding it?

I’m a left-dock kind of gal, myself. It currently has:

Finder
Virtual PC start-up
Safari
@time (lets you keep track of the time elsewhere in the world)
iCal
Eudora
iTunes
LimeWire
Snapz Pro
Stickies
Word
Excel
Yahoo IM
Preview
Downloads folder shortcut
shortcut to an app in development, for which I’m helping to write the manual
Trash
I have short-cuts to every other app I use frequently set up within X-Assist, because otherwise the dock would be too damn crowded. I’m amazed at the number of apps some of you are squeezing in there!

A few options off the top of my head: Finder and shortcuts on your Desktop. Also, if you go to your Apple menu, you’ll find that you have a menu of recently-accessed applications and documents under “Recent Items.” I find this very handy!

Finder
System Prefs
Safari
iCal
Address Book
Mail
iTunes
Sherlock ? hold on a second. . . . fixed that, nevermind
Omnigaffle
Sims Livin Large
MS Word
Remote Desktop
Calculator
TextEdit
iPhoto
Acquisition
iChat
Preview
Heredis
Big Bang Chess
Mars24
Balance Pro

MidnightRadio:

a) As root user in the Finder, drag Dock.app out of /System/Library/CoreServices to /Applications; or, alternatively run this in terminal: sudo mv /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app /Applications/Dock.app

b) Go into the Accounts PrefsPane and add Dock (at its new location) to the list of Startup Items.

c) Open Script Editor and create and save, as an Application, the following script:

tell the application "Dock"
	activate
	quit
end tell

Save it as “Kill Dock” or some such thing, put it in /Applications or /Applications/Utilities if you prefer, and add it also to your Startup Items, obviously somewhere below Dock. (In fact, if you have several items, put Dock at the top and the Kill Dock app at the bottom).

OK, that covers the basics. You do that, you have no Dock. Now, for the other stuff.

d/e) You need a way to launch programs. God knows almost anything would be better than the bloody Dock as an app launcher, and there’s no shortage of freeware apps for it. You also need a convenient process switcher to switch between running applications, and again there are plenty available. Me, I kill this bird-pair with the proverbial single stone, using X-Assist, which gives you a MacOS 9 style application menu at the rh edge of your menubar, showing running applications, and which also provides you with a totally customizable launch menu. I divide mine up by application genre. As alternatives to X-Assist, may I suggest FruitMenu as applauncher (it’s essentialy an OS 9 style totally editable Apple Menu, which means you can put applications in folders and subfolders within it and use that part of the Apple Menu as your launcher) and ASM (application switcher menu) as an application switcher. Another popular choice is Drop Drawers. Go to VersionTracker and read the blurbs and check out the screen shots.

f) You don’t absolutely need, but would probably appreciate, a means of minimizing or hiding individual windows without hiding the whole application. WindowShade X gives you some very nice options including OS 7/8/9 style WindowShading, making the window go translucent or transparent, or minimize-in-place to a small Desktop icon that pops back up when you click on it. I think there are other options but I’ve never looked beyond WindowShade X.

g) You don’t often but will occasionally need a way to open the Trash can, to filch something back out of it or peek into it to see what’s in there. (You can delete things, of course, with no visible Trash can simply via Command-Delete). You could, of course, simply launch the Dock (in its new home you can launch it at will like any other app; you’ll need to run Kill Dock to make it quit afterwards though, no File:Quit menu command); or you can do what I did, make an alias to the invisible .Trash of your user folder while logged in as root (or by using TinkerTook to make all files and folders visible, if you prefer) and putting that Alias on your Desktop at lower right where the Trash can oughta be. Or, as a third alternative, you can write an AppleScript and save as Application:

tell application "Finder"
	activate
	make new Finder window to item ".Trash" of folder "YourUserName" of folder "Users" of startup disk
end tell

You can use the KnockOutDock scipt from here to get rid of the Dock.

Like I posted above…I like the DragThing interface for my apps.

Finder ( why be different?? )

Mail

iChat

Internet Explorer

Safari

Sherlock

Address Book

Final Vinyl ( for use with Griffin Technology’s iMic )

iCal

iTunes

iPhoto

iMovie

Quicktime Player

System Preferences

Using Mac OS-X Jaguar.
Cartooniverse

Mine’s on the left:

Finder
Calculator
Adobe Acrobat
Virtual PC
IE
Outlook Express
System Preferences
Palm Desktop
EquinoX
Photoshop
iTunes
Soundtrack
Quark Xpress
Safari
MetroGnome
Acrobat Distiller
Chordbook
Illustrator
Timbuktu Pro
TextEdit

Probably time to clean it up since I use my PC these days for most of that stuff :rolleyes:

Left to right;

Finder
Classic Startup
System Preferences
X3 0.1.1
Disk Utility
System Profiler
Printer Setup Utility
Activity Monitor
Terminal
Network Utility
Temperature Monitor