What's silly that you do on your commute?

There is nearly always some poor schmuck out in front of the coffee shop or the smoothie place wearing a ridiculous costume and holding a sign to try to draw customers in. I always give 'em a big smile and wave.

Props to the guy in the banana suit the other day…he was shaking that thang! :smiley:

One thing I did on Tuesday which was especially silly was doze off on the train and not realise that due to a timetable change, the train would be dividing, with one half going the way I wanted to go, and one half heading for the south coast. Guess which half I was on?

Plus it was the last train. Luckily I take my bike with me on the train, but instead of a 4-mile ride I had a 19-mile journey back home, incorporating over 1,000ft of ascent (as I discovered when checking the map later.) Took me nearly an hour and a half, so I got home at 1.30am. And my headlight battery ran out halfway home. :smack:

Other than that, I don’t do anything especially silly. Some would argue that cycling in all weathers is silly, but I will be spending over £6,000 less on transport costs this year than I was last year, and I feel a hell of a lot fitter, so I think it’s worth it.

Edit: Nava, you have a cross-border commute? That’s pretty cool.

That attractive woman sitting a few seats away is giving me the eye. I know she simply cannot control her urge to shed her clothes and perform unspeakable acts upon me, but I nip that hussy in the bud and put out my *Stop In The Name Of Love * hand, singing “Leave me alone, I’m a Family Man!”

Then I wake up and wipe the flecks of drool from my chin and wonder why all those people are staring at me.

:stuck_out_tongue:

My commute is uneventful. Not many other drivers out. When the turkeys are in residence at the little farm I enjoy gawking at them. And I sing along to fun songs. But that’s about it.

That’s so wrong, it’s right. Baby. :wink:

I bike to work when it’s above twenty degrees and there isn’t ice, so that’s about 8 months of the year here in Minnesota.

My silliness is my bike helmet. It has a mohawk of doll’s hands. Little hands waving at folks as I ride bye.

I read Pit threads. I print them out just before I leave the office and read them on the train. If I don’t finish, usually due to a 5-page rant-fest, I finish them the next morning. The only drawback is the inability to post when I become sufficiently outraged. But Pit threads make for excellent train reading.

I count bunnies along the highway by VGH hospital. No bunnies means a bad day! :eek:

Then, if there have been no bunnies spotted, I must find and count three dogs before I get to the office. I’ve become superstitious in my old age.

When not counting bunnies or listening to CBC or NPR, I sing along with a CD. Loudly. Occasionally on key. Sometimes I harmonize a duet role for myself. I let my inner Linda Ronstadt out.

I have about a 70-mile round-trip every day, so there lots of stuff to do to keep myself entertained. (I’ll leave out the boring stuff, like “think about what I need to do today at the office.”)

I try to see how many times I can avoid the lines with my tires when changing lanes. It takes skill, I tells ya. We have little divots in them 'round these parts, so you can feel and hear it if you hit them.

If I’m not listening to the CD player, I whistle. Usually it’s a classical piece, but this morning I was stretching a bit. Unfortunately, I don’t think Aerosmith would appreciate my efforts. I will have to try harder.

I wink at passing drivers. Usually I don’t get any response. When I do, most of the time it’s nothing more than a baffled doubletake – “Did he just wink at me?” – though the other morning a hot redhead grinned and winked right back at me, which was nice.

Try to calculate just what angle I would need to hit that other car at to force them off the road in a tumbling fireball. I don’t ACT on this, mind you, but thinking about it makes me feel better, especially after having to dodge some jerkweed who wasn’t paying attention.

Come up with new words on the fly to songs that are playing, usually describing my current situation. From this morning: “I wasn’t in the pile up/It was already done with, before I reached it” (to We Didn’t Start The Fire). Lame, I know. :slight_smile:

I try to figure out what the ‘acronyms’ on license plates means. “GRL? Um… ooh, he must work for the Government Research Laboratory!” It’s amusing.

I think that’s about it… I also think I’m sounding stranger than I am. Oops.

I take the bus

so, if there are any little kids on the bus, I make faces at them.

I wave to anyone looking at the bus (although I’m pretty sure they can’t see me)

I’m a creature of habit, so I like to sit in “my” seat every day. If it’s taken, I’ll wait for the person in it to get off and then move.

I pretned I’m somewhere else… I listen to tropical-sounding music and stare out the window and pretend I’m not in a nasty, cold, rainy city on a bus on my way to school… but in Hawaii on a shuttle from the airport to the beach… and I pretend the lightposts are palm trees and the miserable-looking people out on the streets are wearing swimsuits and smiling and the river is an ocean and so on.

Once, I was driving along an unfamiliar road, and I was bored so I decided to look for signs that had words starting with ‘B’. I swear on my grandmother’s grave that the first sign I saw (only a couple of seconds later) was a business name in huge letters, “B & B Billiard Tables”.

That was spooky.