What's the average ticket price for a 3D movie?

I’m not sure the exact prices, but I do know that the theater I go to charges a $3 premium on 3D movies.

Movies often don’t, they make it up with DVD, Blu Ray and release to foreign markets, TV/Cable release deals, rental agreements, etc

We went to see a movie during the afternoon and the tickets were $11 or $13 each, forget which. I asked why and the guy said it was because the movie was 3D. Well I didn’t care about the 3D, I didn’t even know it was in 3D. But of course if I was going to see it I had to pay.

All the more reason to stay home and watch Netflix, and use time outside the home for outdoor activities.

But 3D movies won’t make most of these sales. They may appear in foreign markets but they don’t get released on home video or seen on TV.

You have to think of a movie like Despicable Me as essentially being two different movies - Despicable Me 2D and Despicable Me 3D. Despicable Me 2D will have $10 tickets and will sell 10,000,000 tickets and will later be sold to DVD and TV. Despicable Me 3D will have $15 tickets and will sell 2,000,000 tickets and won’t have any secondary releases - it’ll make or break its production costs just on how many tickets it sells. So the producers have to ask themselves if it’s worth releasing Despicable Me 3D. If it’s not going to sell enough tickets, they should just release Despicable Me 2D.

That’s the reason I said I saw my first new 3D movie. I missed the 3D wave of the fifties but I’m old enough to have caught the 3D wave of the eighties. I saw the 3D versions of Comin’ at Ya! and Spacehunter.

It’s still bleeding-edge, but anything made in 3D is going to be released in 3D for the home market as well - including Despicable Me.

Personally, I think a good 3D presentation is worth the premium to see in the theatre and it will be a long while before 3D-at-home meets my expectations and price point. 3D looks best when it takes up your entire field of vision - I’m holding out for a 3D home theatre projector that uses passive polarized glasses which I won’t have to sell any organs to afford. That said, 3D production costs will not be wasted for the home market, especially going forward.