What's the best song from Radiohead's "OK Computer"?

Airbag; obviously!

It was almost a coin toss but I picked Subterranean Homesick Alien. Ask me tomorrow and it might be No Surprises, or Paranoid Android, or The Tourist, or Airbag, or…

Toss-up between Lucky and The Tourist but I went with Lucky.

My favorite is “No Surprises”, mainly because it’s got a melody that just gets under my skin. But the whole album is great. It’s my favorite Radiohead album.

Oh, and I like “Fitter, happier.” Creepy computers are just cool.

The video for No Surprises is freaky, too. He’s is claustrophobic and hates water. And was really sick when they filmed it. Not sure if the film was slowed down or not when it’s full, mind you - the clip below makes it sound like it was.

The half-smile on his face after he’s started breathing is genuine triumph because that was about the 20th time he’d done it - and the only time he didn’t pull the emergency release on the helmet.

I strongly disagree with this. I don’t think Oasis is even close to the same league as Radiohead, and WTSMG definitely doesn’t come close to OK Computer.

I voted for No Surprises, because I really like the message of struggling between the harshness/solitude of rebellion and the easy, comfortable acceptance of status quo. Especially the part where the lyrics go, “No alarms and No surprises/Silence/(musical bridge/interlude)/This is my final fit/my final bellyache.”

I quite like this song as well, but always took the narrator’s “acceptence” as a much more final solution: “I’ll take a quiet life, a handshake of carbon monoxide”. Did I misinterpret this line?

“No Surprises” is indeed a beautiful, powerful song, but I can’t listen to it anymore because it takes me back to being in my early 20s, when I hated my miserable job and would go home and soak in the bathtub all evening and cry while this song played on the stereo.

On the plus side, it was partly this song that inspired me to quit that job. So thanks, Thom.

I couldn’t decide between “No Surprises” and “Karma Police”.

Heads up, Karma Police. Heads down, No Surprises.

And… Karma Police wins.

Well, your opinion is your opinion. However:

Now, granted Oasis topped that poll for Definitely Maybe (and WTSMG came in at 5th to *Ok Computer’s *4th), but I think Oasis has done much better for themselves than Radiohead has. WTSMG outsold OK Computer, was named the Best British Album of the past 30 years at this year’s BRIT Awards, and its singles peaked higher on the UK singles charts then any of the three from OK Computer. Again, your opinion is your opinion, but those are the facts.

My favorite song from this album was Paranoid Android. I loved that, “For a minute there/I lost myself” part at the end.

Er, no, wait. That was “Karma Police.” “Paranoid Android” was “from a great heiiiiight.” Both were good.

Jesus - tough, tough question.

I voted for “No Surprises” because it always brings a tear to my eye.

IMO, the only two I wouldn’t consider would be “Karma Police” and “Electioneering”.

Both are fine songs in their own right, but I don’t think either is great. And they don’t quite mesh as perfectly with the full album as everything else.

Any poll that rates any Oasis album above Revolver is one that can’t be taken seriously. That is also, I think, a fact. :stuck_out_tongue:

I really like Oasis. They, along with Blur, are the epitome of what was good about mid-late 90s pop rock. They perfected it. Radiohead, blew it apart and put it back together again as something different. The influence of Radiohead on modern rock is huge in a way that Oasis will never be and I think that puts them in a class apart.

Karma Police, then Paranoid Android.

Personally, while I enjoyed nevermind and What’s the Story?, I got tired of them before very long. Looking at Oasis, they had a period when Noel Gallacher was writing hit songs for fun, but they have a very narrow range and never really developed as a band. It’s no great suprise to me they went stale pretty quickly.