Whats the deal with hops? Are they expensive? What about calories?

Triple hopped probably only means that they put in hops three times during the wort-boiling process. Hops put earlier on provide most of the bitterness. Late added hops give a green-taste and not much bitterness. So you could have a triple hopped beer with not much bitterness.

Though I doubt that Miller Lite actually goes through all that. It’s probably just a marketing phrase.

That seems pretty specific (and easily verified) to me. I can’t imagine they wouldn’t get the pants sued off if they claimed a beer was triple-hopped and it wasn’t.

To Miller, triple-hopped probably means they used three hop cones per batch.

You know why Australian beer is so good?
They use kangaroo hops.

I used to brew 6% beer for less than $0.50 a bottle. The secret is lots of corn sugar. I knew a guy who managed to get it down to $0.25 per bottle by buying sugar and malt in bulk. Unfortunately, when he moved from Alabama to Mississippi, he found he got far more off-flavors with his recipe. I found the same thing happened with mine when I moved to Texas, so it would appear that your local water has a lot to do with how happy you’re going to be throwing a lip over a brew that cheap.

But maybe lots of hops would cover the tartness.

Blech. The whole point of home-brewing is to be able to avoid crap like corn sugar and rice adjuncts in your beer. You’ll never be able to compete with a mega-brewer on a cost per buzz basis, so you brew for taste instead.