What's the deal with non-iodized salt?

I talk to radiologists about this sort of thing on a daily basis. The salient (heh!) point is that the anaphylactoid reaction to iodinated contrast medium is not IgE mediated and is not because of the iodine itself. “Iodine allergy” is a misnomer as you point out, it should more correctly be called “IV dye allergy”

I need to educate myself? Interesting.

If you’re so knowledgeable about the benefits of water fluoridation, please explain to me why Sweden, Belgium, the Netherlands, Denmark, Finland, Norway, and Iceland do not fluoridate at all. Also explain to me why water fluoridation is so rare throughout the remainder of Europe.

Are they simply ignorant? Misinformed? What do you know that they don’t?

So only 41% of adolescents aged 12-15 in the U.S. suffer the fluoride-induced side effect of dental fluorosis? That’s very reassuring:

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db53.htm#prevalence

With slim odds like that, you’d have to be an idiot not to support fluoridation.

I was under the impression that excessive consumption of iodine, above and beyond what someone would expect to receive with a diet including iodized salt, suppressed thyroid function via the Wolff-Chaikoff effect. This being the case with euthyroid individuals, obviously.

Besides naturally occuring fluoridation, ignorance and paranoia? Here are some reasons:

So now you can get flouride with your iodine with your salt. What’s next?

None of the countries that I listed above fluoridates their salt or their water.

I’m glad that non-iodized salt is easy to get. I use it for making saline for my neti pot (nasal wash). I’m told that saline from iodized salt really stings the sinuses.

OK, so we iodize salt to ensure that people get enough iodine. Clear enough.

But, why did we pick salt as the delivery mechanism? Why not some other food product?

Because everyone eats salt, and will eat enough salt to insure sufficient levels of iodine in the diet.

The CDC is an organizaton of experts. You and Surreal are… ?

You can say that again…

Have you not watched Austin Powers?

I use it for cleaning my nose piercing. (You’re supposed to use salt water to clean piercings – preferably sea salt, but Kosher salt is good too.)

You are quite right, but must also acknowledge that the normal thyroid will “escape” from the Wolf-Chaikoff effect within a few days. In other words, in normal people, excessive iodine intake does not lead to hypothyroidism.

On the other hand, in abnormal thyroids and, in particular, those with previous or occult thyroiditis, there may be no escape from the Wolf-Chaikoff effect. In that setting, hypothyroidism can develop secondary to excess iodine intake. This is probably the main mechanism for the hypothyroidism that arises during therapy with amiodarone, i.e. the amiodarone causes a thyroiditis (which may, of course, by itself lead to hypothryoidism) which then renders the gland unable to escape from the Wolf-Chaikoff effect that is induced by the large quantity of iodine in the amiodarone preparation. Likewise, people with subclinical thyroiditis due to autoimmune thyroid disease may develop full blown hypothyroidism in the setting of excess iodine intake.

Ah, yes. That documentary.

'Course I have. Do you also expect to meet Dr. Evil and Mini-Me the next time you visit a tropical island?

Yes and to much can cause Hypothyroidism as well. And fluoride has been tested in a part of the Netherlands by adding it to the water…result: in that area the most people with bad teeth. Many people have never been vaccinated and never have gotten sick. So this is really useless what you type.

How much iodine do I need? In your entire lifetime you will need less than a teaspoon of iodine to ensure good health, however, since it is dangerous to consume that much iodine at once, it is best to eat a little each day. You only need 150 micrograms (mcg, µg), or 20,000th of a teaspoon, to meet your daily requirement.

i am from the netherlands. And the part actually where they did fluoridate the water became the part where most people had a lot of tooth decay. In the netherlands most people also go to the dentist 2 times a year or more. Children more often. So i don`t see the point why it should be added to water or anything else. It is still considered to be poison if taken to many. And toothpaste is also advised not to take in, right??? And iodine, if you eat healthy. adding iodine would then again be dangerous. So just live healthy Derleth, then you would not be a complete moron :slight_smile: .

Moderator Note

tom3my, personal insults are not permitted on this board outside the BBQ Pit. (And no, adding a smiley does not make it OK.) Since you are new, I am making this a moderator note instead of an official warning. Do not do this again.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

Factsheet from the Dutch National Institute for Public Health and the Environment [emphasis added]