What's the deal with those VISA gift cards?

I was given one for my birthday, and in the fine print it specifically said it cannot be used for online purchases.

Ah, but there’s the thing. Wal-Mart cashiers are as a class mystified by the intricacies of the pre-paid card. The percentage of calls that come in from people who got their cards declined at Wal-Marts is staggering. We literally had to bring on more temps a few months ago just because of the volume of calls generated from Wal-Marts declining cards from a specific program. And they don’t tell people that the card declined. They tell people that the cards are worthless, that they have no money on them at all. Some Wal-Marts even started refusing to accept them rather than train their cashiers properly.

LAWLS! That sounds just like Wal-Mart cashiers. I get silly questions from people probably once a week, from people who have been there for months. “Chaoticbear! I’m all out of receipt paper, what do I do?” “Umm, you call for receipt tape, when it’s at the pink that warns you about that. Use the numbered action code that’s printed and on top of the scanner. Just like we told you 4 months ago.”

CHAOTICBEAR! What’s the number for green beans?!” “4066. There’s a picture of green beans on the chart at the register.”

Right. But if you have $1.25 left you have to:

1. Remember to call before you go to the store, or be willing to make everyone wait while you call at the store.
  2. Think it is worth it to go through the hassle for $1.25
  3. Deal with cashiers who have never split a credit card bill before. (do you pay cash for the rest, or do you try to do 2 charges?) My daughter, who had one we sent her, had a terrible time even with a helpful cashier at her college bookstore.

A lot of $1.25s from $50 cards really add up. You know the check card ads that show the flow in a store crumbling when someone wants to pay cash? They should remake it for these suckers.

Not at Walgreens it doesn’t. There’s just the display card hanging there (we had to put the actual cards behind the counter because people kept stealing them). No puffery or advertising at all.

But the big question is…how do I find out the balance?

-Joe

Gift cards are just another rip off. I got a hundred dollar visa “gift card” with my new cell phone plan. Here’s the rip off: you can pay your cell phone bill with a visa card but it specifically states you CANNOT pay your cell phone bill with the visa gift card. Of course I left like eight bucks on it in the end because it expired after six months. Classic corporate rip off.

There should be a customer service number on the back of the card. Call that and you should get either an automated service or a live rep who can look it up for you.

It’s only a “rip off” if you choose not to use those last eight bucks.

Gift cards don’t expire in California, and I believe that inactivity fees are also illegal. :smiley:
I never had a problem using $8.27 on a gift card and the balance cash or whatever.